What good is this doing me?

Old 12-02-10, 07:53 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What good is this doing me?

I've been told, since I live in such an airtight house, I'll need an air exchange system to keep my windows from getting wet. I tried an extra dehumidifier on the main floor, which helped until tonight when the temp dipped to 7 degrees F. I know I need to bring some fresh air in from the outside. I have this PVC pipe coming in from the outside and sitting behind my furnace, but what good is it doing? It's putting cool outside air into the furnace room but I don't see how it could be going anywhere. The labor for an air exchange is crazy, and I'm not much of a DIY guy.

Old 12-03-10, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How old is your home?

I've NEVER seen a 2" pipe used for fresh air....????

they are most of the time 6" or some times 4". I agree, this 2" pipe is doing nothing!

Old 12-03-10, 02:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
I think that 2" pipe falls under the catagory of something is better than nothing (but not much). It's probably the largest pipe they could get up thru the stud space.

Old 12-03-10, 11:06 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I just wondering is the furnace is the only one it use the gaz or do you have gaz water heater as well ??

Well for 2 inch pipe maybe Grady is correct some are you don't really much room to fit in the studs cavity without breaking the codes { more like building code without affecting the structure } but if you did have both gaz furnace and water heater you should have double duex inch pipes to make up the air volume for combustion.

What is the humity level in the house right now ??

Merci.
Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: