Carrier Furnance 58GSC080-DB starts and stops and wont stay on help??

Old 12-02-10, 10:40 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Carrier Furnance 58GSC080-DB starts and stops and wont stay on help??

I have a Carrier 58GSC080DB Gas Furnace 20+ yrs old. Now having problems with it igniting, fan turns on for 15 seconds then the piot shuts off and then the fan shuts off. The pilot will attempt to relight over and over again. 2 days later it now wont even click to try and light. I had a repair person over that told me I need a new board (it think this is what he called it) but basically said that the sensor is telling the ignighter to turn off the gas which is causing everything to shut down. His quote is $569. Seems excessive since I did not see him pull out any tools to check wiring or anything else. Originally he said that the ignighter was not directly under the gas so it was taking longer to light. As soon as he left it shut off over and over again. In addition he suggest that I should buy a new furnace for $3-$4k instead of investing in the old unit. Help I am a female and don't know which direction to go in. Does this sound right or should I eat the diagnostic fee and get a second opionion from another company. I hate to waste the $69 fee if he is right.

Old 12-03-10, 01:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I believe this furnace has a Carrier 3 wire pilot ignition system. There should be a pilot burner which is lit each time the thermostat calls for heat, and you should see three wires going to the pilot burner.

Your description of what is happening is vague. You talk about an "ignitor" but there is no ignitor if you have a pilot burner lit by a spark.

Is the pilot burner failing to be lit by the repeated spark?

Please describe with care the sequence of events that happens once the thermostat is turned up for heat.

Old 12-03-10, 05:00 PM
M
Sorry this is foreign language to me but let me try. I first turn on the thermostat for heat. Then I can hear the repeated spark that does light the burners after a few seconds (10). After approx 10-15 seconds later the fan blower turns on. About 10 seconds later the gas shuts off and the pilot burners. Shortly after that the blower shuts off. The repeated spark clinking noise will begin again and attempt to start. repeated process and eventually the clicking will stop altogether. Does this help. Thank you for your help and time.

Old 12-03-10, 05:27 PM
M
Update - I called the service person and he said its a y86 Honeywell retorfilt kit that I need and its $539 includes installation and warranty. It will replace the flame senoring, spark ignition generator. I hope this help.

Old 12-03-10, 06:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Your description is still vague. Does the pilot light light and stay lit? Do the main burners light and stay lit.

If you want some help you need to do your job which is to accurately describe the sequence of events which is happening in detail.

If you can't do that --- go ahead and be gouged by the repair company you hired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: