furnace running weird

Old 12-05-10, 11:42 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
furnace running weird

Here's what's happening.

I have an old Miller, with a Beckett burner. Sometimes it will light, other times it won't. It will light and run for a period, then it will shut down. I have to push the reset. Sometimes it will relight right off, other times, I have to wait. I've replaced the nozzle, oil pump transformer, and points. I've taken the oil pump apart to make sure there wasn't any crud in there. I disconnected my feed line, and blew air through it to be sure there wasn't a blockage. This furnace is in my garage. I burn #2 with diesel additive to keep it from gelling. Is it possible that I have too much additive in the fuel?

Thank s for any insight you may have.

Scott

Old 12-06-10, 10:08 AM
G
Is your exhaust/chimney blocked? The CO/heat detector may be shutting the system down abruptly.

Is your blower wheel fouled? Even a small amount of gook on the blades can cause it to stop blowing efficiently, which will cause the motor to overheat and shut down.

Old 12-06-10, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Which model Miller? When you reset it & it fires, what does the flame look like (light yellow, orange & smokey)? What nozzle & pump pressure?
Electrodes set properly?

Old 12-08-10, 12:28 PM
H
not sure of the pressure, and nozzle size, just replaced with what was on it when it ran right. electrodes set by gauge.

when it fires, it depends if it has been pumping without firing, then there's a bunch of smoke and soot.

Old 12-08-10, 05:32 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
When the last time you did change tank fuel filter ??

And when you have the burner gun out did you clean the photosensor if not it may cause false reading.

What size nozzle are you using right now if you got the number of nozzle.

Did you touch the air shutter when you doing this ?

Did you bleed out the line there is a bleed port and get a small bucket or empty soda bottle and small hose to fit the bleed port and open up you should have pretty good stream of clean fuel.

Merci.
Marc

Old 12-08-10, 06:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you will provide the model of the furnace, I can probably give you the proper settings. You really do need to check the pump pressure & we need to know what nozzle you are using.

Old 12-09-10, 09:53 AM
H
The model is MOC-80 The eye was a bit cloudy, so I wiped it clean. Didn't turn it on though, I'm not able to watch it.

Old 12-09-10, 05:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Moc-80

Someone has retro-fitted the Beckett into the MOC-80. They came with either a Wayne or Nu-Way burner, no Becketts. The nozzle you should be using would be a .60 - 80şB @ 100# pump pressure. The burner head should be an 'F0'. The electrode tips should be 5/16" above the nozzle center, 1/16" ahead of the nozzle face, & 5/32" apart. To check the 'Z' dimension you'll have to pull the burner out of the furnace. Place a straight edge across the face of the end cone & measure to the face of the nozzle. This distance must be 1 1/8".

Old 12-11-10, 04:51 AM
H
I'll give it a shot, Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: