Cold air returns - interior or exterior walls?

Old 12-07-10, 09:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cold air returns - interior or exterior walls?

Hello,

I have a few questions:

1. Should cold air returns be on exterior walls or interior walls in a room? In my house there seems to be no method to it: some are exterior and some are interior.

2. Even more confusing, the heat vents are further up on the wall - since hot air rises it seems kind of odd that they'd be at least 6 feet up on the wall. The walls are plaster and lathe - is there a reason with plaster walls that these are put up so high on the wall?

3. I have a large room that was an addition to the existing house. They put no basement under that section so that heat comes from only one side where the original house footprint is. How do I get hot air circulating in this room? I live in WI so the winters can be kind of cold.

Thanks for any help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-10, 02:23 PM
cold air supplies, heat vents both same. some take in air(return), some push out air(supplies) however both do the same for hot and cold air. doesnt matter where u put the supplies really, most people like it in front of windows but really does not matter as long as a return is not right next to a supply.
The heat vent up on the wall......well like i said its used for cold air as well and since cold air falls the best place for it is up high somewhere. and i know heat rises but some things u cant win no matter where u put the supplies.
and as for circulating air(thats also my company name), you could put a return on the other side of the room so that the air travels across it as its sucked up or turn on the ceiling fan or put in a space heater. not really much u can do if its all been sheet rocked unless the furnace sits close by.

Old 12-08-10, 05:54 AM
In older homes, that was a common thing back in the days with return near the floor on the outside wall, and supply up on the wall.

As for supply, now days it done on the outside wall near the floor to act as a "curtains" on our cold winter months. Returns can be anywhere on a wall. Most of the time, I'd like to see returns on the upper wall on the highest floor level, and near the floor in the lowest living area of the home in our cold northern states.

As for your add on room, it is what it is due to the lay out.