Unable to adjust pilot on VR8204H-1055 valve

Old 12-07-10, 05:58 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unable to adjust pilot on VR8204H-1055 valve

Hi,

The intermittent pilot on my furnace will not light reliably - it appears to blow itself out. I think the pilot flow needs to be reduced. I have removed the pilot adjust dust cap and turned the pilot adjust screw, but there seems to be no change to the flow of gas to the pilot. Even with the screw turned to the complete clockwise direction (which I think should cut off the pilot), the pilot still "blows out". Any thoughts on why the pilot adjustment screw might not be working are appreciated.

Thanks,
-Paul

Old 12-07-10, 06:36 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Did you keep on turning or only one turn? keep on turning

Old 12-08-10, 04:36 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your response.

Yes I turned it all the way til snug (maybe 4-5 rotations), but same problem. Even with the screw snug I can still get the pilot to light by gently blowing across the pilot (this disrupts the pilot flame so that it catches). I removed the adjusting screw entirely to have a look at it. It is a hollow tube that looks a lot like a spent .22 pistol shell - does that sound correct? Or should there be something inside of the tube? This furnace has been a hard start for several years -but I had other troubles with it (like a plugged exhaust vacuum sensor) and so maybe this problem was masked before.

-Paul

Old 12-08-10, 09:18 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
You are sure you were in the "pilot" adjust and not the "reg" hole??
Maybe try and put a little more ooomph on the screwdriver?? Also try blowing out the pilot where the gas comes out, may be dirty. And blow hard!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: