American Standard Gas furnance heat on for several minutes and then off

Old 12-08-10, 09:56 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
American Standard Gas furnance heat on for several minutes and then off

Hi:
I have an American Standard Gas furnance. It is Freedom 90 Single stage furnance. It was installed in October 2006 and has been working fine until this winter. In October 2010, I found out that our thermostat was not functioning any more, so I replaced it with a brand new Honeywell thermostat (with 7 day programming ability). On this past Monday morning, the furnance stopped working. The blower was constantly blowing cold air, but heat was not there while the thermostat indicated "Heat On". I didn't know what to do, then called the company who installed the furnance for us. A technician came in and checked whatever he could do, and decided that the circuit board was not working (he said that the computer thought the fire was on while the fire was not on). So he installed a new circuit board 1 hour later and it seemd to work.
However, this morning the same exact problem came back! I then began to do the checking as I began to doubt the ability of the technician. I found out:
1) if I turned off the power of the furnance for a while, it could have heat again
2) However, the heat will last just for 10-30 minutes. Then the fire will be gone and cold air will constantly blow.
3) There is a little bit water inside the furnance, which seems to be leaking out from the tube connecting the drainage.
Any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited!

Old 12-08-10, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you just had this "serviced" I'd call the company back since this is under the warranty.

Old 12-08-10, 06:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are two fans in the furnace--- a small fan usually above the burners that curculates air for the gas to butn and a large fan that circulates air around the house.

So--- which one is on or are both on?

According to your post, the fan circulating air around the house is on, causing a draft. Is the second fan, the inducer motor, on as well?

You need to take the cover off the burner compartment area so you can see the controls and such and observe what is happening.

Turn the thermostat down until everything turns off, then turn the thermostat up so it's calling for heat. Carefully observe and report the sequence of events that you observe happening. You might have to do that more than once to be sure you aren't missing anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: