oil smell - oil furnace

Old 12-08-10, 05:28 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
oil smell - oil furnace

I have oil smell (once a while) in the second floor of my house only (furnace in the basement). It happens some times when my oil furnace starts (I leave it on automatic). Iam not sure why? From reading it sound like possibly the heat exchanger. Is the oil smell can result in starting a fire in the house? Or cause dangerous situations? I serviced my oil furnace a month ago (change filter, changed ignition transformer, nozzle, electrode and cleaned the furnace). I think the furnace is from 1989.

Old 12-08-10, 05:36 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Do you have any oil leak on the furnace ?

Is the flue { exhaust pipe } is good and tight with no leaking joints ?

If not may have a hairline crack on heat exchanger but this part it may be hard to find a hairline crack without a powerfull light or have to remove the firebrick to find a crack.

some case on windy days it may make the chimmeny downdraft cause to get some smell { that part you may want to take a look at the damper to make sure it function properly }

Merci.
Marc

Old 12-08-10, 06:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
With a 21 year old furnace you really need to call a professional to do a proper electronic combustion analysis. These tests if done right can often point to a problem with the heat exchanger.

Old 12-09-10, 06:02 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
oil smell at start of the furnace

Thanks for the feedback. But if it is a haircrack in the heat exchanger is there any danger if I do not fix it this winter?

Old 12-09-10, 06:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Cracks are something which don't get better, only worse. This hairline crack could grow & the next thing you know you have an emergency. Get it checked out & kind of take it from there. A tech familiar with your model of furnace can shed a lot of light on a given situation. It may be as simple as replacing a gasket or as bad as needing a new furnace now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: