Oil not flowing through pipe to tank

Old 12-08-10, 05:45 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oil not flowing through pipe to tank

I ran out of oil so I was planning on putting diesel into my tank. I went to the pipe outside my house and unscrewed the cap. When i started pouring the diesel into the pipe it wasn't flowing down into the tank. The pipe is filled to the top but there is no oil in the tank. Has this happened to anyone else before and if so how would i resolve the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-08-10, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Are you sure you poured it into the correct pipe? There are usually two pipes. One has a vent cap & the other a regular pipe cap, some sort of plug, or a flip cap. The vent cap is often mushroom or 'T' shaped. It could also just be held on with a set screw.

Old 12-08-10, 06:41 PM
B
I'm pretty positive I'm using the right pipe. There is a second pipe beside the one I'm using and it has the mushroom shaped cap on it. Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-08-10, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That being the case, the only reason I can think of why oil woudn't go into the tank is some sort of blockage. Can you post a picture of the fill & vent pipes as well as one of the tank?

Old 12-08-10, 06:55 PM
B
Sure, I'll post some pics tomorrow because it's dark outside.

Old 12-08-10, 06:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before we get too crazy or just for grins, take off the mushroom cap & see if the oil flows. Could be a plugged vent. It's a real longshot but worth a shot.

Old 12-09-10, 04:26 PM
B
Just wanted to post an update. We went out today to check the pipe and the liquid had gone down. Not really sure what the problem was but all 10 gallons flowed in fine this morning. Thank you very much for the help.

Old 12-09-10, 04:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Somethings Fishy

I really wonder what's going on. I still suggest removing the mushroom & checking it. Often insects (particularly mud wasps) will decide the underside of a vent cap is a good place to nest. When I was an oil truck driver, many moons ago, I got a major oil bath thanks to them.
BTW: I'd still like to see the pictures. Maybe something will jump out at me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: