Rheem Classic 90 Plus Heater Trouble

Old 12-11-10, 06:49 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rheem Classic 90 Plus Heater Trouble

Good morning! Well sort of.

I woke up this morning and my heater was not functioning at all. It was working the past few days so this issue just started. The thermostat says 66 degrees and the heater was set to 69 degrees all night. On the thermostat, it says "heat on", but the heat does not kick on. When i go to the heater unit, it is silent. Not making any noises at all (no fans blowing, switched flicking, or anything). So i disconnected power to the unit for a few minutes, then plugged back in to reset if there were control boards. This obviously did not work! now i am hoping to troubleshoot a bit more with your assistance! Can anyone help me with this task! Thanks in advance.

Old 12-11-10, 10:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Start by checking the AC power to the furnace. It sounds like you've already verified that the circuit breaker is on. Check to see that the furnace power switch is on and the fan compartment door is properly installed which closes the fan compartment door switch.

Do you have a multimeter that measure AC voltages and the skill to use it?

Old 12-11-10, 10:35 AM
Z
rheem classic 90 plus heater trouble

Thanks for the prompt response. I have verified ac to the unit is good.

Also, I have a fluke meter and went to school for ee, I had better be capable with the fluke, or I wasted a lot of money!

Thanks for helping!

Old 12-11-10, 10:42 AM
Z
Rheem Classic 90 Plus Heater Trouble

I have also verified that the door is properly seated to the unit. I unscrewed the 4 nuts, opened the door, then closed it back up, making sure the door was seated properly.

Old 12-11-10, 12:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Next I'd check that you have 24 VAC from chassis ground to the "R" Terminal.

Then check to see id the thermostat is actually switching the furnace on by checking to see if you have 24 VAC at the W terminal when the thermostat is calling for heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: