Furnace shutting off after 5 min

Old 12-12-10, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace shutting off after 5 min

First i want to say thanks for any help and happy holidays. This is my first time posting on here so please bare with me. My furnace (Goodman) starts up ignites and runs like a CH for about 3-5 min then shuts down. Blower motor continues to blow for another 3-5 min. It does this every 20 minutes or so. Ive cleaned the heat sensor, I jumped the stat and my led is reading solid as if there are no proplems with the heater. What am I missing? Ive read threw several post and will continue to do so to see if others have had this problem and what they did to correct it. What can be the cause of the heater not running continuously.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-10, 03:37 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I suspect that your furnace burners are shutting off because of tripping the high temperature cutout. This can be caused by several different problems although the most common is a plugged return air filter.

Some other causes, in no particular order, are too high a gas pressure (gas-fired furnace), too low of a blower speed, too small of ductwork, either supply or return although too small return ductwork is more common. Too large of an oil nozzle or too high of an oil pressure in oil-fired furnaces. Too many discharge (supply) registers closed off in a mistaken attempt to save fuel by not heating unused rooms would be possibility in a larger house and one more is the use of zone control in a larger house.

Now tell us what is this "heat sensor" that you cleaned?

Old 12-12-10, 09:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 12-13-10, 06:00 PM
In the past when my furnace did that the chimney was blocked.

Old 12-16-10, 09:34 PM
Thank you very much for each reply, I thought it was the motor blowing on a very low speed so I arranged the wiring so that it would be faster high heat). Now the fan motor running much faster but it is also shutting off even faster ( 30 seconds) at high heat. After replacing the wires back to how they were I got a spark and now the board is flashing nonstop ( reversed polarity). What the Fred flinstone? So now I have to get the polarity back to normal and then try and continue to trouble shoot. Its a goodman heater 140 btu and the return is in my basement near and exit ( within 15 ft) thats used several times a day. How do I restore the polarity and could this be a compacitor issue? is the board now finish or was that the problem from the start?? any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated. also some one suggested that maybe the hear is too big for the house..

Old 12-17-10, 05:30 AM
How many sq. ft in the house? Where are you located? How well insulated is the house? (goes to furnace size)
Did you turn off all power to the unit when you reconfigured the wiring?