cleaning furnace ?

Old 12-14-10, 07:25 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cleaning furnace ?

hello

idk if this is an issue or not. my furnace is in the laundry room, so there is some lint in there. not much though. i have never cleaned my furnace, though it only looks just a little dusty.

you know how fans like to collect dust. so i am thinking the vent fan needs a cleaning, or does it ? if so, is it an issue to take it out ?
i am pretty mechanically inclined, but there may be something i don't know/see. anything else i should know ?

i don't want to disable the heat.

CARRIER

thanx

Old 12-14-10, 09:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Judging from the white PVC pipes, you have a 90% efficient condensing gas furnace --- is that right?

If so, such furnaces (with dual pipes) are sealed systems not exposed to the lint from your laundry room.

Be sure you use filters to protect the system and change them when they start to get clogged.

If you do all that, you have a system that is reasonably protected from the significant lint hazard that a laundry often represents.

Manufacturers always recommend periodic maintenance on furnaces annually. On the other hand, they aren't paying for it. Still, I'd be cautious about ignoring such advice.

Modern furnaces such as yours have a lot of safety devices on them, but there are still things that can be a hazard if periodic maintenance is neglected.

Old 12-15-10, 06:45 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanx for the reply

that pipe is for the a/c drain. the furnace is most definitely exposed to the lint. but idk if it gets burnt up in the firebox, or what.

i am trying to sell this place. and i what things are good as possible for the inspector.

Old 12-15-10, 07:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the burners use combustion air from the laundry room, then lint accumulation in the burners can be a concern. That just means the burners and equipment should be cleaned and inspected from time to time.

As a repairman, I alsways thought it would be smart for people selling their home to have the annual maintenance on their furnace done before an inspector arrives. Presumably the equipment would be nice and clean and with a bill verifying that regular maintenance has just been completed and that the equipment is in good operating condition.

That should impress most house inspectors, who presumably wont spend time looking critically at that furnace.

A furnace in a laundry room that hasn't been inspected might reasonably receive a critical look by an inspector, especially if there is any evidence of lint on or in the furnace.

The furnace looks clean from the picture, but that might not stand up to close scrutiny. I can't really tell.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: