Carrier 58PAV070-12 replaced board/igniter no gas flow

Old 12-15-10, 08:51 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Carrier 58PAV070-12 replaced board/igniter no gas flow

Hi to all doityourselfers-

New to the site. Have an issue. Woke the other morning - COLD! ha!
I live in ohio, and we're getting blasted by some pretty cold weather.
Of course I wake to find my carrier furnace trying to start, kick on the igniter - nothing.
I replace the igniter. - still nothing.
replace the board - igniter lights.
no gas flow though - I thought maybe I tripped a switch....tried the switch above the unit ( attached to the inside ceiling. two wires come out of that. it didn't make a clicking noise as I've read around - so figured that was okay. also have the gas switch on/off. I smell no gas. Seems like I can hear it moving in the pipe. and also thought I might have heard what seemed like water.
At any rate -
When I turn the breaker on, turn the gas switch to on ( taped the bottom door switch).
the blower comes on almost immediately - I turn the stat to a temp that's higher than the room and it attempts to kick on ( the spinner ( not sure what the name is) spins....after about 5-8 seconds the igniter lights, but I cannot get any type of gas to flow - I Don't smell it or anything. Wondering where I can find where to open it back up or could it just be that I need to get a new 'pressure switch' - my terminology may be off...my understanding is the pressure switch enables the gas to flow through the burners, and the igniter gets the red/then white hot glow ignites the gas coming from the switch right?...
could i just have that bad of luck and the board/igniter and pressure switch all went bad?
btw - I don't have a meter. I know that's an issue, but I'm in this for some time and it's become quite personal, so I'd be happy to feel like an idiot and flip a switch if that'd work. I can supply pictures assuming this forum allows them ( just registered and wrote this message).
Thanks everyone for any assistance.

Last edited by tegaur; 12-15-10 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo in model number
Old 12-15-10, 09:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Your furnace manual is at:

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...58p,r-13sm.pdf

The "spinner" is presumably the inducer motor that circulates combustion air through the furnace. When that system is working properly, the pressurse switch verifies that correct operation and the circuit board turn on the hot surface ignitor. That should mheat up and glow white hot after about thirty seconds, and the main burner gas should turn on and light off the HSI.

Since you have no gas, check the obvious things. If you have gas, do you have other gas appliances that are working normally?

If you have natural gas, verify that the gas meter is turned on. Verify that the gurnace shut off valve is turned on. Verify that the electric gas valve is turned to the on position.

If it were me, I'd turn the furnace shutoff valve off and open the pipe union or flex connector and momentarily turn the gas on to verify you have a good gas supply.

To do more, you need a multimeter or AC voltmeter and the skill to use it.

Old 12-16-10, 03:50 AM
T
have gas working to the hot water heater and the fireplace.
fireplace is in another location ( living room) works fine.
hot water heater is next to furnace - hot water heater also works fine. uses the same gas line, just different shut off valve. so i know the gas is coming through the pipe okay since it's allowing the water to get hot.
as soon as I flip the breaker and turn the gas on ( switch on unit).
the blower kicks on.
if I engage the stat - set it to a higher temperature,
the inducer kicks on -
the igniter lights-
inducer shuts off
igniter goes out.
repeats this process until I turn the breaker off.
and this point..
gas never flows. this is what made me think it was a safety mechanism of some sort.

I've checked the board connection intructions twice. the newer board had a lil different set up with connector cables, but they only connect one way.

I noticed the led code was blinking . one short two long.

Old 12-16-10, 07:13 AM
You've checked to be sure the furnace shutoff valve is turned on and that the electric gas valve is turned to the "on" position?

You're sure that after the hot surface ignitor switches on the inducer motor shuts off? Usually the inducer motor should continue to run as long as the thermostat is calling for heat.

Try using a jumper wire between the R and W terminals, which bypasses the thermostat and should turn the furnace on and keep it on. See if that keeps it on without shutting off.

Old 12-16-10, 07:22 AM
T
Yeh.... the shut off valve is on. It comes in splits in two one to water heater. One to the furnace. Both are pointing up. That connects to the gas going into the unit.
Then there is the switch off/on... then the burners ands the rest you know.
Alas...... repairman is coming this morning. For the sake of Anyone else having a similar issue I'll post the results when the repairman leaves.

Old 12-16-10, 07:37 AM
The furnace manual is at:

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...58p,r-13sm.pdf

The 1-2 diagnostic code just indicates that the blower motor is being turned on for 90 seconds under certain conditions (page 9)

Old 12-16-10, 10:40 AM
T
all good now -
guy came in checked a couple things smirked at me.
the stat's wiring was reversed -
live and learn, guy was cool. told me good call on the board given the symptoms I provided him. though he didn't think the igniter was bad, seeing as the unit was 8 years old, he indicated not a bad idea to replace it anyway...
all is well that ends well I suppose. :-) I have heat.
Thanks Pioneer for the quick replies and take care out there in WA!
the repairman said he was surprised that the sequence got as far as it did

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: