PLEASE HELP US!!

Old 12-20-00, 01:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I would like some input into what the problem could be with my air-conditioning/heating unit. The a/c works fine, but the heating part of the unit is not working correctly...the fan blows on the unit, but only cold air comes out of the vents...I am freezing! Please give me some ideas on what to check out on the unit so I can repair it! Thank you!

IT IS VERY COLD>>> i got 3 kids an little money

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-00, 01:39 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
WHAT KIND OF HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT KIND OF HEAT IS YOUR FURNACE??????????IS IT OILFIRED,GAS FIRED,WOODFIRED OR A HEAT PUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!NEED MORE INFO!!!!!!!!PDF

Old 12-20-00, 01:42 PM
Visiting Guest
i believe a heat pump...

its a unit in my attic laying down. i changed the Tstat hoping it might have been the prob but no luck..its an electric heat pump i believe.

Old 12-20-00, 05:51 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Check your circuit breakers. Check fuses in unit in attic. You have a heat pump, if the outdoor unit runs in heating and a/c. If only in a/c, you have straight electric/resistive heat.

Old 12-21-00, 07:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation to fjrachel

is only the outside unit runs on ac.. i checked all circuit breaker an the 60 amp fuse in attic evry one seems ok. I checked the 60 amp with my ohm meter seems fine.

Old 12-21-00, 01:27 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
TSTAT

When you replaced your tstat how many wires wre there?If only 3 or 4 you heat with resistance heat.TURN POWER OFF to unit in attic,remove panels,you should see coiled bared heater strips.Examine them to make sure they are not broken and laying in the unit.Make sure with your 220v leads are intact,push any little red buttons you see,ohm out any limit controls or klixons.If your klixons have tripped and you reset them....use this formula P=IE...Check voltage with a meter,this is your E,check the unit for your KW rating,divide your volts into your KW,this will give you an approximate amp draw.If you have 60 amp fuses your amp draw should be around 38 to 45 amps.PDF

Old 12-21-00, 04:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Question 3 wire Tstat w/a jumper wire

i took off panels an i seen a somewhat looking radiator type coil unit inside no heating elements present..

Old 12-21-00, 04:58 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Since you seem to know how to use your meter. Check the voltage at the unit in the attic. Is it 220volts? If not check the circuit breaker. If may physically be on but it may be bad. If the heat comes from the air handling unit you've got to have resistive heat in it or in the supply duct work leaving the air handling unit. The coil is for the a/c.