Smartvalve flashes 5 times and fans on constant. Help?

Old 12-18-10, 03:46 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smartvalve flashes 5 times and fans on constant. Help?

Hi all,

I have an Ultra V Tech 80 forced air unit (G1N80AT) running on natural gas that has been giving me a lot of trouble lately. Currently the inducer fan and circulation fans are constantly running when the unit has power to it. It will not light, the only thing that happens with or without a call for heat is the turning on of the inducer and circulation fans. Here's what I'm working with:

1. New Smartvalve SV9520H 8042 (replaced two weeks ago)
2. ST9160B Fan Timer board
3. Unit is mounted horizontally
4. Pressure is closing the pressure switch fine
5. Both limit switches read ~ .2 Ohms
6. SMARTVAVLE LED FLASHING 5 TIMES, my booklet says this means that flame signal is sensed out of sequence. There is no flame! This happens as soon as I power unit by closing door switch. Recommended fix is to check flame at pilot burner. No flame, no gas, valve not opening.

Like a moron I figured since the fans are constantly on the fan timer board was faulty. The guy at Hercules supply said it sounded like a limit switch, but since they are not open saturdays, and I wanted heat, I bought it anyway. He said I could return it if the problem wasn't the board and I didn't install. I installed. The problem is still there with the new board (bye bye $100).

I couldn't find anything on this problem anywhere, and would really appreciate some help. Oh, I also measured resistance on the hot surface ignitor (Norton model 601) and it was at ~75 Ohms. Apparently its supposed to be between 20 and 150 Ohms and is ok. With the new board the inducer fan starts immediately and the circulation fan waits until the delay is over, but the SV9520 still flashes 5 times on startup. What gives? Thank you for whatever help you can provide.

Old 12-19-10, 07:03 AM
S
normally,what you descibe,it is a limit switch is tripped out. but did you replace the smartvalve and the circuit board? the instructions on replacing the fan timer board are very specific and detailed. did you get new molex connectors with the fan timer? is the replacement board a honeywell? i would suggest that you read over the install iinstuctions very carefully agasin,and check wiring and connectors. i know it does not help on the weekend,but you could call honeywell tech service on monday.also check the honeywell site for more technical info.

Old 12-19-10, 09:22 PM
H
Thank you, Seabee. Yes the timer board is a honeywell, i believe its a 9120U. I'd look now, but its in the attic. I wired it in per the instruction sheet. The molex connector on the harness from the board to the smartvalve is identical (pins are correct also) and there is another molex (female) connector on the board that uses one of the various harnesses that came with the new board. This harness basically jumps terminals 1 and 6. I'm a motorcycle mechanic, so I've done my share of wiring, although the voltages are a bit different! The limit switches are the two on either side of the squirrel cage for the circulation fan, right?

Yes, I did replace the smartvalve. It worked properly for about two weeks, but then my wife and I noticed that the fan was on and blowing room temp air when the heat was at the thermostat's setting and it should have been off. Nothing turns the fans off except cutting the power to them.

I also tried the old board again - wired exactly as it was - and have the same problem. Think its time to call the serviceman? It figures that I'm the only weirdo that has had this particular issue!

Old 12-20-10, 03:21 PM
S
problem

since you replaced the smartvalve first,you have to check the valve,as it maybe a different version,thus,you installed the new board to go with the old valve.....check the numbers on the smart valve,and double check the directions on the honeywell board......you may have to use the different connector,and/or check the wiring chart ......make sure the numbers on the smartvale go with the proper wiring on the new board

Old 12-20-10, 03:24 PM
S
problem

what manufacturer is th e furnace. there should be limits somewhere near the burner compartment or possibly other locations...maybe a limit is tripped and needs manually reset.need the manual and manufacturer...

Old 12-20-10, 05:00 PM
S
problem

if it worked for 2 weeks.and then tripped...a limit switch tripped
did you hook-up the proper fans speed to the new board?
did you check the fan/off delay dip switches?

Old 01-05-11, 09:24 PM
H
Smartvalve SV9520

Ok, so the problem is solved and the heater is fixed.

It was not a limit switch or a rollout switch.

I called an HVAC guy and gave him the information that is in my posts. He tested the switches and couldn't find any problems with anything given that the smartvavle was new and had functioned for nearly two weeks.

When he pulled the lead off of the flame sensor I told him to be careful, I had tested voltage on it when I was checking everything with my meter and it had 110 VAC pumping out of it.

He said that was not supposed to happen. It was still happening.

There was an internal short or some crap in my 2 week old smartvalve. This was the problem. Couldn't be verified, but we were sure that the valve was bad. The flame sensor should never have voltage supplied to it, its actually supposed to produce a small amount of voltage.

Paid the dude $30 for coming over and helping. Got a new SV9520 from Hercules (under warranty and free) and installed. Heater works freaking great. Can't believe it was the part I had already replaced. Nothing else was wrong. At least I now have all new components (fan timer board and valve) in my heating unit!

Thanks again, seabee, for your help. Hopefully my being cold for the last couple of weeks and learning that smartvalves are crappy will save someone else in the future.

Just a plug for Hercules Industries here - they have been super nice and helpful in my dealing with this stupid heating unit. Very knowledgable and willing to help - not just trying to sell me stuff. I'll deal with them on everything heater/air conditioner related from now on. Prices were also less than online.

Old 01-06-11, 10:54 AM
B
Where are you located? Which Hercules?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: