home oil heater water in tank

Old 12-20-10, 02:07 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
home oil heater water in tank

fuel oil heater uses #1 or #2 fuel oil, also can use gas turbine fuel oil, and
diesel off road #1 or #2. The oil tank has water in it. I use diesel off road fuel
oil. Can i use an automobile fuel tank water absorber additive? Beckett, the oil
heater maker, when I asked told me to ask my fuel oil supplier, he said dont worry about it.

I want to worry about it. I emptied the tank and wont use it again until late next year. There is some diesel residue left in the tank along with the water. Can i just pour in one of those bottles from the auto parts store? Then when I fill it up next year, I will add a few more bottles, since most gas tanks are smaller then 55 gallons.

Two issues here. 1-is this additive ok for the oil burner. 2-Is adding a full bottle
to an almost empty tank ok?

thanks,
>paul

Old 12-20-10, 05:51 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Water will always go to the lowest part of the tank and that is where you should have a water drain valve. If you have another tapping a couple of inches above the bottom use that for the oil feed to the burner.

If your tank is not in an area subject to freezing then you can make a water trap out of standard pipe fittings, the idea is to have the tank outlet go into the trap with large-size fittings and then the oil line to the burner come off the top of the trap. Be sure to drain the trap periodically.

I don't personally know of any automotive additives or if they would cause any problems. I would think that any additives for Diesel fuel would be okay but read the label carefully to understand the maximum amount allowed in a tank of any given size.

Old 12-23-10, 05:44 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Don't use additives made for gasoline engines in fuel oil. It could cause a blockage in the oil line. Use a good diesel additive. While the tank is empty you should try to remove as much of the water as possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: