Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Any kind of formula I can use to figure out how much fuel oil I should be using>

Any kind of formula I can use to figure out how much fuel oil I should be using>

Old 12-21-10, 09:34 AM
U
Received 5 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Question Any kind of formula I can use to figure out how much fuel oil I should be using>

Hello, it just seems as though my furnace is almost constantly running! It has been very cold though, like in the 20s during the day and teens to single digits at night. I keep my thermostat set at like 68 when we are home and 65 when we are away or sleeping. Just wondering, thanks as always! Jack

Old 12-22-10, 07:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
One gallon of #2 fuel oil contains on average 138,500 btu's/gallon. Divide your furnace's rated heating input by 138,500 and that will give you the number of gallons your furnace will burn per hour (running constantly). If you think your furnace is running 75% of the time, for example, multiply the gallons/hour by 0.75 to get the actual hourly usage.

Old 12-22-10, 01:40 PM
U
Received 5 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Thanks Beachboy! I figured their had to be some way of figuring it out. Merry Christmas!! Jack

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: