Noisy Gas Control Valve

Old 12-20-00, 08:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I have a 10 yr old Ruud upflow gas furnace. Recently when the burners are on, there is a loud buzzing, vibrating noise coming from the Gas Control Valve. Almost sounds like a relay chatter. The noise is intermittent, however almost always comes on for some time during operation.

Do I have to replace this valve? Is there anything I can do short of paying through the nose for a technician to visit my home? Is this a dangerous situation?

Thanks for your help!
Mark S.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-00, 12:45 PM
camachinist
Visiting Guest
FWIW, I just replaced my main gas valve (LPG) on my furnace and just discovered that the old valve what was making the buzzing noises I've heard all these years (12)....
I replaced the valve because it was leaking (just happened) and the new valve is as quiet as can be...

I don't think my problem was related to the noises the old valve was making...hopefully a professional here can shed more light on your situation....

Pat

Old 12-22-00, 06:29 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi:kuldad

As Pat mentioned and I agree with him, the most likely cause is the gas valve. The noise is actually coming from the built in solenoid valve.

Since the solenoid is an internal part of the gas valve, it cannot be replaced separately. Therefore, the whole gas valve will have to be replaced.

Should you attempt to replace this part on your own, be aware of safety precautions needed. Close off the gas at the shut off valve on the supply pipe and unplug the power.

Remove the valve and take the whole part to the local retail appliance parts store. Buy an exact replacement part.

Install the replacement valve exactly as you found the defective valve. Be sure to soap test the gas supply fittings you removed and reinstalled for leaks.

HINT:
Mark all wires your going to remove so you can reinstall them exactly as you found them.

TIP:
If your not absolutely positive you can do this alone, have a professional do it for you. The cost is worth your peace of mind and safety.