Where to donate a working furnace in Chicago area?

Old 12-24-10, 10:50 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where to donate a working furnace in Chicago area?

We have a 13 year old Armstrong Ultra SX90 that is currently installed and running. Where can I donate this when we get our new furnace next week?

Thanks

Old 12-25-10, 12:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You could sell it or give it away on Craigslist....

Old 12-25-10, 05:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Ask the installer, I used to have a neighbor that worked for a HVAC company, he rebuilt some of the old units he replaced and installed them on the cheap [side job]. He had a friend that recycled the ones that weren't worth fixing.

Old 12-25-10, 07:18 AM
C
idk, but i think he wants to give it to a charity.

Google

Old 12-26-10, 02:50 AM
V
Originally Posted by marksr
Ask the installer, I used to have a neighbor that worked for a HVAC company, he rebuilt some of the old units he replaced and installed them on the cheap [side job]. He had a friend that recycled the ones that weren't worth fixing.
The installer says they junk them. Its in running condition and I'd rather someone use it.

Old 12-26-10, 03:05 AM
I've never seen a central heating furnace in a thrift shop like the Salvation Army --- you could try an outfit like that and see if they were interested.

The is an outfit I'm familiar with that sells second hand building materials. They do furnaces. There is probably an outfit like that in Chicago.

I suppose you could call Habitat for Humanity. The worst they could say would be no.

Unfortunately, the market for old furnaces is quite thin in my experience. The best bet would be selling on Craigslist for $100-200 and donating the proceeds if you wish.

Old 12-26-10, 09:28 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
A unit that old is worthless! Time to be trashed

Old 12-26-10, 09:55 AM
I'd take it and install it in my own house.

I probably wouldn't pay more than $100 for it. There are lots of old furnaces available around here on Craigslist, although condensing furnaces aren't that common.

I checked the Chicago Craigslist and saw nothing.

Old 12-26-10, 05:42 PM
C
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer

I checked the Chicago Craigslist and saw nothing.
you better go back to "search" school.
chicago all for sale / wanted classifieds "furnace" - craigslist

Old 12-26-10, 06:35 PM
I had a 23 year old furnace (feared heat exchanger future cracks) replaced by a very reputable dealer and they removed the old unit and replaced it with a higher efficiency unit by 11:30 AM and the inspectors (gas and electrical) approved the installation by 1:00 PM. The dealer was going to remove the furnace.I realized that it would be good for a home inspection school to add to their training facilities even though they had a dozen or two.

I said the school could pick it up, but the dealer refused unless I had a notarized certificate by me and a notarized certificate from the school that it would never be installed. The dealer also agreed to sign a statement voiding liability. - Too much of a hassle!!. The dealer planned to scrap it out and eliminate any liability of a 23 year old furnace. There were probably a few parts worthwhile because of the availability of some in an emergency, but most service companies try to avoid used parts unless time is a big factor.

It is not worth much to try to recycle and old furnace considering the problems/liability if there are deaths due to the functioning of a old piece of iron if you are in business.

Dick

Old 12-26-10, 08:30 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Maybe someone could use it in a shop or something.

Old 12-26-10, 09:55 PM
flirty----

Sounds like a lot of bull by the contractor. The furnace is YOUR property, not that of the contractor.

Heh, heh! I would have told the contractor "If you touch my junk I'm calling a cop!"

Same with the school. If they want it they are responsible for it.

If you sell something you are selling it as is unless you offer a warrentee.

Old 12-27-10, 07:32 AM
The furnace was not my property after I had them haul it away.

The dealer strips the good parts off (if any) to offset the disposal costs.

The school had about 12 furnaces/boilers for instruction last time I saw. They had encountered this elsewhere and it usually was by a better dealer. They would have to haul it 300 miles, but have done it before.

The dealer/installer had crews of crews of 2 men that showed up at a predetermined times to do different work (rip out, sheet metal fabrication, installation and plumbing) for the 3 hour install. It was installed in May and they showed up several times to check operation in both AC and then later when it got cold enough to really run the furnace. - Want to guess where my AC unit will come from?

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: