1" vs. 4" furnace filter ?

Old 12-28-10, 11:12 AM
1" vs. 4" furnace filter ?

I am having a new high efficiency infinity carrier furnace installed. There is not enough space to put a 4" filter because the gas water heater is too close to the return duct. The contractor is saying he will put in the standard 1" filter. Is there a downside to putting 1" vs. 4" in terms of noise and load on the motor etc?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-10, 03:19 PM
the only downside is less surface area......less ability to filter

Old 12-28-10, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Make sure the return is sealed tightly. You certainly don't want the return pulling any air or exhaust from the water heater. Also insist the furnace intake air is pulled from an area away from the water heater.

Old 12-28-10, 05:27 PM
The 1" needs to be changed every 4-6 weeks, where the 4" twice a year. Don't use the high end 3M filter. I'd suggest the 3-pack Natural Aire from Home Depot that has the green label since they don't cut on your air flow vs the 3M.

Old 12-28-10, 06:29 PM
If you're only concerned with dust and "larger" particles in the air then a 1" filter is just fine, however, I agree with Jay that the 3M's can be highly restrictive to air flow which can create problems down the road. If you or anyone else in your home has allergies or are sensitive to household cleaners etc. then a 4" filter may be something you'd want to consider. As Grady also stated, if you do go with a 1" filter be sure to have the return sealed tightly (via silicone) to prevent sucking in water heater exhaust and to stop an unwanted whistling sound.

Old 12-28-10, 10:19 PM
Grady, Jay11J, Deanr221, kyoung22....thanks for all your suggestions!

Old 12-30-10, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
The 1" needs to be changed every 4-6 weeks, where the 4" twice a year. Don't use the high end 3M filter. I'd suggest the 3-pack Natural Aire from Home Depot that has the green label since they don't cut on your air flow vs the 3M.
Is that the one with a FPR 4 rating? I bought the high end 3M ones and now feel guilty!

Old 12-30-10, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by inforr View Post
Is that the one with a FPR 4 rating? I bought the high end 3M ones and now feel guilty!
Yes, that is the one. Use that one and change it out to the FPR 4.