Curious about burner techs solution to furnace problem?

Old 12-29-10, 01:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Curious about burner techs solution to furnace problem?

Have had no problem with our Weil-Mac boiler since it was installed 7 years ago. Twice in the past week we have had the furnace die. Tech says that he is draining air bubbles out of the feedline from the tank. The feedline is in a crawlspace and must go up the foundation wall 3 feet and travel 20 feet to drop down into the furnace room. The tech thinks the air is getting in somehow because of this rise from the tank to get to the furnace room. His recommendation is to install a Tigerloop de-aerator to get rid of the trapped air in the line.
My concern is how the air is getting in the line may be leading to other problems. Last oil delivery was three weeks ago so any trapped air bubbles should have dissapated by now I would think. I did crawl thru the space and follow the line and see no evidence of fuel leaks.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-10, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air trapped in a long horizontal run is hard to get out especially if there is a high spot in the line. If you are having air problems & the line is paticularly hard to get to in order to replace, I agree with his solultion. Even if you did replace the entire line, a Tiger Loop would be a good idea. I've seen more than one oil line which would suck air but not leak oil. This is not unusual if the line is stapled with unprotected steel staples, if it is unprotected going thru or contacting concrete, or rests on damp soil. I also strongly encourage the use of plastic covered copper tubing for the fuel line.

Last edited by Grady; 12-29-10 at 05:17 PM.