Frigidaire inducer motor shot?

Old 01-02-11, 07:30 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire inducer motor shot?

My Frigidaire furnace C3BA-036C-B is not firing up and the inducer motor just barely spins when the thermostat calls for heat. I've smelled an electrical smell the past few days and the inducer motor (or combustion gas fan, if that is what it's called) is hot to the touch, even now after 30 minutes of the furnace no longer running.

Does this sound like motor to the combustion fan is shot? I'll have the HVAC guy come to confirm, but I'd like to be able to give them some guidance as to what it may be.

Thanks,
John

Old 01-02-11, 07:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, it does. Check the voltage being applied to the motor to see if it's 120 VAC or thereabouts. A bad relay in the control module might provide voltage that's too low that might cause similar problems.

But it's probably the motor.

Old 01-02-11, 07:47 AM
J
Thanks - given the furnace startup has gotten progressively worse, I kind of figured the motor was going. It's getting 120 v from the control, so I assume I'm in need of a new motor.

Old 01-02-11, 07:55 AM
J
One other thing - I see in the furnace documentation that it has a 10 year all parts warranty - is this something they stand by?

Old 01-02-11, 08:24 AM
S
Inducer motor shot

I have the same problem with my unit mod # G6RL060C-12. just went out New Years eve, unit only 10yrs old. Tech came out and said new motor costs $700. installed but can't order til Monday and then 3-4 days for shipping.
first trouble we've had in 2 yrs. last time the ignitor just needed replaced. 5 yrs ago, the gas valve went out and Frigidaire would not stand by their warranty.
Been told Frigidaire is one of the worst brands out there.
Am I paying too much for this repair?

Old 01-02-11, 09:40 AM
J
I'm never one to leave well enough alone, I realized that one of the things I noticed was that there was a water gurgling sound that happened when the furnace was trying to ignite - not just water flowing down the drainage pipes, but water stuck somewhere. It so happens that the inducer has a drain plug that is capped at the bottom. I pull the plug and low and behold - it's filled with water. I drain the water, re-cap it, ensure all drain tubes are cleared, and fire the furnace back up - it works perfectly. I think the cold weather we've had has increased the condensation in the exhaust tube to the point where it overwhelmed the inducer impeller to remove it. I'll certainly watch what happens with it more closely over the next week and call a tech if it happens again.

Old 01-02-11, 12:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
SDGROWN,
Yes you are paying too much. I recently replaced one on a Gibson furnace (same as Frigidaire) & the cost was around $300. It took about 10 minutes to replace, start to finish.

Old 01-02-11, 12:38 PM
S
Must be thinking of a different part, I just priced the unit at Frigidaire on line and they list the part for $500. and change plus shipping,
Thanks

Old 01-02-11, 01:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Many manufacturers charge full retail, & sometimes more, for parts bought directly from them. You can likely find the part at an online store for far less. Do a search for Frigidaire furnace parts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: