Amana Purge Fan Cycles on and off several times before furnace lights

Old 01-02-11, 10:24 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amana Purge Fan Cycles on and off several times before furnace lights

I have an Amana 80 SSE Gas furnace. It heats the house fine, but recently the purge fan will come off and on several times before the burner lights. It does not do this all the time, is intermittent. When it does this it will come on in a short burst, run for a couple of seconds, and then stop and come right back on. It will repeat these brief short cycles of starting and stopping and then the burner lights and it works fine. Sometimes the fan will do this three times, and then the furnace will operate normally, sometimes it will come off and on as many as 20 times and then the burner lights and everything works fine. It seems to be doing this more often now. There are no trouble codes indicated on the blinking light that gives the self diagnostic codes. Any idea what I can do to stop this?

Thanks

Old 01-02-11, 11:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Measure the AC voltage between chassis ground and the W terminal on the furnace. When you have 24 VAC at the W terminal the thermostat is calling for heat and the inducer motor should turn on and stay on.

If the W terminal is energized and the inducer motor is operating erratically as you describe you have a failing ignition control that needs to be replaced before it quits working altogether.

Old 02-09-11, 12:03 AM
F
Amana AMV9 cycling on and off

I had a similar problem where my Amana AMV9 would cycle on and off. The ignition would lite the flame and stay lit for a few seconds, but then go out. I cleaned the sensor with fine sand paper and it seems to be working now. It was cycling on and off with NO blinking codes resulting. I plan to also purchase a new sensor to replace this one. Hope that helps!

Old 02-09-11, 12:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Flame sensors almost never need to be replaced. Invisible oxides tend to collect on the metal which blocks contact of flame with the metal. When that is cleaned away, you are back in business.

It's like saying "Well, my windows were dirty and I couldn't see through them. I cleaned them and I can see through them now, but I'm going to replace them anyway."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: