Thermostat/furnace question

Old 01-03-11, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thermostat/furnace question

I have a 80% Bryant Model 315AAV gas furnace (5 years old) and a newer Honeywell VisionPro 6000 series thermostat (if not mistaken). No outdoor sensing.

Everything works fine, but seems to have a mind of its own recently. I use a large set-back evenings (personal preference) and have it programmed to go into a wake-up stage at 6:00AM (from 60F to 64F) and then a second stage at 7:00 AM (from 64F to 68F). After that, it is to hold the 68F until 5:00PM and then go to 69F until 10:00PM when it goes down to 60F. The fan run all the time for circulation and comfort due to and open stairway and a split level foyer.

Even at 0F it never kicks into the second stage because of the 2 stage ramp up.

For some reason, the furnace will kick in about 5:30AM and will be at the programmed 64F by 6:00. Does the thermostat or furnace have a heat anticipater based on previous days history? I know I could just shift the timing of the stages and be comfortable, but I am curious why and how the system is working. I almost felt like a fool when the furnace quit running on a cold Sunday and almost resorted to a high priced ($150) service call since my gas water heater worked, the filter was clean and the breaker for the furnace was not tripped. Before I called for help, I noticed the on/off switch back on the side of the furnace was off and my wife apparently dropped something that hit the switch and shut down the system. - Protected from accidents by duct tape now and off the get a protected switch cover like they use for firing armed missiles.

Thanx for any opinions.

Dick

Old 01-03-11, 04:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
C/M,
Maybe Jay11J will jump in here to try to help you out. He seems to have good luck with Honeywell stats while I have zero confidence in them.

Old 01-03-11, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
The thermostat is probably in the Adaptive Intelligent Recovery mode.

This starts heating the house up gradually so that the temperature is at the temperature desired at the time specified.

Here is an instruction manual for a thermostat similar to yours:

http://www.completeheating.ca/manual...Pro%208000.pdf

Page 18 section 503 discusses how the AIR system is activated or deactivated. I'd check to see if yours is activiated, that's probably what is happening.

Unfortunately, people are buying thermostats that are smarter than the owners these days!

Old 01-03-11, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is no VisionPro 6000.. Is it a touch screen or not?

Even at 0F it never kicks into the second stage because of the 2 stage ramp up.
?? If there was more than 2˚ gap, the stat should be taking 2nd stage in to help with the recovery.. Why 60˚ to 64˚, then 64˚ to 68˚?

Old 01-03-11, 08:44 PM
Jay - thanks for the reply.

I was initially guessing at the model, number and I did not want a touch screen since it could mis-lead my wife and buttons intimidate her. I finally just found the manual and it does have reference to the recovery mode.

It may be kicking in the second change in the cold weather, but so far it has not been cold enough to get down to the 60F early in the morning, but the furnace is so quiet, especially with the location and doors closed. Due to change in work schedules, I will be using a bedroom off my office near the furnace room and will try to detect any differences in the operation. I will go by hearing, since I don't want to get out of bed any earlier than necessary. My heat bills are low, so it is not a big concern, but comfort in this layout is important.

I used the more gradual two time period step-up because the steps were available and fit our style. I know the low night temperature may not be common, but is a few degrees higher than what we had when we were younger.

Thanx for the reply.

Dick

Old 01-04-11, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Our house does go down to 60˚, and my cat does not like it that cold. :-( So I drop it down to 64˚ at night so she won't be cold.. hehe

Old 01-17-11, 01:44 PM
Just an update -

Thanks for an understanding of the anticipation concept so I can fine tune the comfort levels.

After some thinking, I changed my night temp to 64F from 60F and moved the night setting by an hour and thanks to the thermal inertia of two walls (only two exterior walls - north and east exposure) the set-up works well and is comfortable and probably does not use any additional fuel (never over $80/mo for a total of fuels, distribution charges, taxes, etc.) in a MN winter and my minimum(summer) is always $20/mo for just heating water for showers and dishes.

I just checked and think I have a FocusPRO 6000 and not a Vision model.

The only thing that troubled me was the noise from the furnace/fan with an open door very close to the basement bedroom I use for scheduled purposes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: