HSI not heating

Old 01-03-11, 06:22 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HSI not heating

I have a Nordyne G6RA.
First off I am no Tech but I am handy and can figure things out to a point.
The fan that blows the the vent comes on, then I hear the click that should start the HSI heating but it doesn't get hot, then the gas turns on but since the hsi didn't heat to light the gas the gas valve shuts off and it goes in a circle again and again for 5 times then shuts down for an hour.
I put a old multi meter that I have (Not digital) on the lead wire for the hsi and it shows that it's getting power all the time. My thought was that it shouldn't have power until the switch turns on to heat it, am i right?

Since the multi meter isn't digital i am not positive of how many volts it's getting but it looks like about 60 or 70 at all times even when the furnace is not trying to come on and when it is trying to light the voltage stays the same.

Oh and after it cycles 5 times I do get a flashing red light, it flashes 4 times.

The hsi looks good and every year I clean it with emory cloth.

The furnace will work if I light the gas with a lighter when it comes on but when the furnace shuts down it won't light agai.

Last edited by machine3; 01-03-11 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-03-11, 06:48 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the HSI has failed, try and take a continuity read on the HSI. As far as power to it all the time, no. I'm thinking your not taking the reads properly, or your meter is going goofy on you???
However, sounds like you know what you are doing.

Old 01-03-11, 06:51 PM
M
I put the meter on the hsi for continuity, the red lead where the wire plugs onto it and the black lead where the little screw attaches it to the furnace and no reading there BUT i do get a reading when red lead at plug and black lead anywhere on the part of the hsi that should get hot

Old 01-03-11, 06:55 PM
M
I have tested multiple times and the wire that connects to the hsi does have power at all times. only time it doesn't have power is when i shut the power off to the furnace. The meter I am using isn't digital so my guess is that it's getting about 60 or 70 volts at all times. I plugged the meter into a electric outlet and I get about 110 volts and when i connect to the hsi wire it shows about 3/4 of what I get from a household outlet.

Old 01-03-11, 08:46 PM
M
Also I have found that the hsi must be in the same circuit as the flame sensor? because when i disconnect the the hsi (while the flame is burning it goes out as if the sensor doesn't sense any flame. Is this how it works and if so why does it let the flame keep burning but not heat up to light it?

Old 01-04-11, 07:44 AM
M
It's Fixed! it was the hsi

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: