Gas fired boler

Old 12-21-00, 07:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a gas fired boiler for my baseboard hot water system. I have two floors and two zones. Over the past week or so we have developed a noise in the boiler. It's a light knocking sound. It's almost as if there is air in the system, but only in the boiler, nothing is heard in any of the piping or radiation sections. It is irregular in the rhythm that it develops and almost sounds like other applications where metal is getting hot and then cooling down, but it has never done this in the past.Is there something obvious I could look for? Nothing in the system has been changed. Thank-you.

Old 12-21-00, 08:03 PM
Visiting Guest
knocking sounds in boilers are generally from air. you need to check your expansion tank or install one and also check you air bleed at the boiler. let us know.

Old 12-24-00, 09:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Gas fired boiler

Henry, I took a look at the Extrol tank, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for? The tank, BTW, seems to have some kind of oily residue building up on the top that is maybe leaking from the bleeder itself (on top of the bleeder)? I'm not clear on the function of the schrader valve on the top, or the valve on the bottom of the tank. When should they be checked and what should I find. I forgot to mention in my previous post, that I also flushed the boiler as one of my first attempts to fix this problem, but only so far as closing the zones, opening the drain and letting the fill valve run water through the boiler for awhile. Thanks.

Old 12-25-00, 07:13 PM
Visiting Guest
you have described a dirty boiler installation. you will need to replace your air bleed valve on the exp tank and also any bleed valve near the boiler.

Old 12-27-00, 07:52 AM
Visiting Guest
gas fired boiler

Hi Henry,

I replaced the bleeder today, but no help. Still has the same noise in the boiler. I'm not sure what you meant by 'dirty' installation, but I'm assuming you mean that the unit wasn't clean enpough when it was installed? We did run boiler coloid through the system when it was new. We installed this system about 12 years ago and this has been the first problem. Also, I wanted to mention that the boiler is running about 25 psi. It seem like it used to be around 20 psi, but I'm not sure. The boiler is rated at 30 psi and the fill valve has a 25 psi limit and set range of 12-15 psi. Is it possible the pressure is too high? As I said before, the pressure relief valve does not pop off, but it does function. Any other suggestions? I still haven't found anything else obviously suspect. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: