HEIL heat pump ice buildup

Old 12-21-00, 11:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I have a 1989 HEIL heat pump model CH3030VKA2 that is iceing up on me. From what I read in other posts it is a defrosting themostat or something like that. If you run the A/C it will defrost the coils. but if it is esp. cold outside the coils will frost up and the unit will run almost constantly. Can you offer me some specific help with this model? Dont think it is freon because the unit does heat and cool sufficently, it is just all frosted up in the cold. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-00, 03:49 AM
R-12guy
Visiting Guest
Sounds like the Defrost has bought the farm, could be either the sensor or the board..

Old 12-22-00, 08:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink details..

What exactly does that look like and is it something I can fix. I am pretty handy, and mech inclined so if it is just changeing some parts I should be able to handle that. Just need to know if there is anything else I should know before I start takeing the unit apart.

Old 12-22-00, 09:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry bad sensor

I believe it to be a bad sensor. I got brave and opened up the unit, carefuly examined the wiring diagram, and found the sensor clipped to the coil, makes sense, huh? so I removed it and put my meter on it and it is idicating an open. I assume that this means the sensor is bad, so I ordered one from the parts house.... 1 week and $56. Allot cheaper than a repair man I suppose. If this doesnt fix it I will try replaceing the board next. There is also a defrost relay, I quess that will be next after the board if it still ices up. I have a sneaky suspicion that the sensor will fix it however.

Please let me know if you have anymore advice.

Old 12-22-00, 11:28 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
R E A L C O L D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About 10 years,had problems with York heat pumps in extreme cold.Talking day time highs of -5 degrees,lows at night around -20.The York analyzing kit showed all systems normal.Units just could not defrost completely.Talking fun here,-12,kneeling in the snow and hooking wiring harnesses to a control board.Stopped by several times once temps warmed up into the high single #s and low teens.Units cycling fine,no frost.Hope your thermister replacement works just fine and you and yours have a WARM and SAFE holiday.PDF

Old 12-23-00, 04:48 AM
R-12guy
Visiting Guest
you can test that sensor by getting it cold ( below 28 degrees ) and checking for it to close.