Need help with magic chef furnace!!

Old 01-08-11, 10:20 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with magic chef furnace!!

I have a Magic Chef furnace Model#48HWC18A-19 Serial#A07814LHB
It is a direct vent forced air furnace with cooling unit and it will not light. I can hear the furnace run when I turn the thermostat up but the blower will not kick in unless I do it manually. There is no pilot light so I am hoping that the thermocouple is the issue. I would like to find a manual for this furnace so I can try to change the thermo myself. I did find the Thermocouple in the furnace however I was not able to extract it because I was worried that without instruction I might make things worse. If there is any advice that can be offered such as finding a manual for this specific furnace, replacing the Thermocouple or anything else I would greatly appreciate it as I am trying to save a couple dollars if at all possible. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-11, 10:36 AM
Must be an older furnace since I can't find anything on it.

when I turn the thermostat up but the blower will not kick in unless I do it manually.
What blower? Induce fan for the burner, or the main blower for the house?

There is no pilot light so I am hoping that the thermocouple is the issue.
Has there been a pilot in the past?

Old 01-08-11, 10:43 AM
C
The furnace was working fine last week all of a sudden when the temp dropped I didn't get heat. The main blower for the house will kick in only when I turn the switch to on. In reading some of the threadson this site I have learned that the furnace itself calls for this fan to run and not the thermostat. And yes I believe this furnace is approximately 20 years old

Old 01-08-11, 02:31 PM
Was there a pilot light in the past on this?

When the heating blower was not working, is the pipes/duct warm?

Old 01-08-11, 07:15 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
this furnace I believe uses spark ignition for the pilot. set stat to call for heat and watch process . Does pilot light? does pilot light and it continues sparking and then pilot shuts off? does pilot light, stops sparking and no main burner?

Old 01-08-11, 11:42 PM
C
Thank you for the info on the spark ignition, I have been able to find some good info. When I set the Tstat to call for heat there is no spark.

Old 01-09-11, 05:54 AM
Ok, so if you turned the fan to ON mode, then does the heat work?

Old 01-09-11, 07:55 AM
ok. no pilot. Check the pressure port on the draft motor for debris. Use a paper clip or small drill bit to ream out the port. Do this with the furnace off.

Old 01-09-11, 10:54 AM
C
I was able to get my furnace working by cleaning the pilot and the part that I believe ignites the spark. I have a feeling that this fix is only temporary because my cleaning of the parts consisted of rubbing them clean with my fingers as they are difficult to reach. When I set the Tstat for heat it sparked for about 15-20 seconds and then the pilot lit and subsequently the burners lit as well. Any suggestions for making sure this is a permanent fix would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and I apologize for not using the correct terminology.

Old 01-09-11, 11:10 AM
you have the right idea by cleaning. Your furnace may use the ignitor as the flame sensor. your fingers will leave an oil residue that will probably end up burning on a residue that will act as an insulator to the flame. try to clean with a small steel brush

Old 01-09-11, 11:13 AM
C
Thank you for your time I will try the small steel brush!!!

Old 01-09-11, 11:20 AM
Best thing to use to clean the sensor is the dollar bill. Wire brush/sandpaper is too much for them.