Need help finding replacement hot surface ignitor

Old 01-09-11, 01:30 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help finding replacement hot surface ignitor

My hot surface ignitor went out at the worst possible time of course and I need to replace it. I removed it, but I don't see any part numbers written on it. Here's a pic of it:

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4974/hsix.jpg

I have a Rheem RGDD-08NR-GR furnace. Also I read silicon nitride ignitor lasts longer, so I'd be willing to replace with that type as well. Would the Honeywell Glowfly universal ignitor work with my system? Thanks!

Old 01-09-11, 01:35 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
home depot universal nitride hsi is available at some local box stores

Old 01-09-11, 04:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Silicon-Nitride

In talking with the manager of a local wholesale house the other day, he told me he'd had quite a few of the Honeywell Glowfly ignitors returned by contractors who said the ignitors would not work with systems originally made for silicon-carbide ignition systems. Never having used one personally, I can only pass along what I've heard from a generally reliable source.

Old 01-09-11, 04:04 PM
I use them and the white rogers and have had no problem

Old 01-09-11, 04:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
hvactechfw,
Good to hear they work well for you. When I was told of the problems I asked if the ignitors were used only for ignition or both ignition & flame proving and was told "I don't know". After reading the installation guide, I see Honeywell says not to use the Glowfly as a flame sensor.

Old 01-09-11, 04:22 PM
no. I have not. this ignitor I know will work for the furnace listed above though. I'm not sure they would work for that do to the nitride material being so much stronger than the carbide. I would only assume that the signal generated would not be the same as with the carbide. I don't see that many furnaces that use the hsi for flame sensing anymore though.

Old 01-09-11, 04:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
After reading the installation sheet, I see they say not to use the Glowfly for flame proving. Almost all I see using the ignitor for flame proving are mobile homes.

Old 01-09-11, 05:15 PM
Y
Okay I picked up the Honeywell Glowfly today from HomeDepot, it came with bare lead wires and no wiring adapters so I couldn't use it out of the box. I tried to pull out the wires from the adapter on my old ignitor but could not get them off. Is there some trick to that or do I need to buy the wiring adapter for my system? Where can I find one? Thanks.

Old 01-09-11, 05:28 PM
I looked at the manual, and it says cut and strip the wire back 1/4" and use provided wire nut.

If you want to use the harness, cut the wire close the the old ignitor, and strip that wire back.

Old 01-09-11, 05:52 PM
I recommend using the harness from the old hsi . DO as jay said and cut the wires for the old close to the porcelain and use that as your harness. Only use the porcelain wire nuts that came with the glow fly.

Old 01-09-11, 06:02 PM
Y
I screwed up and cut the wire close to the adapter instead of the other end near the ignitor. Any ideas where I can get just the adapter part from? I see some HSIs some with multiple wiring adapters, I haven't found a place just selling the adapter itself yet though.

Old 01-09-11, 06:02 PM
just cut the furnace harness off at the hsi plug and wire nut to those.

Old 01-09-11, 06:11 PM
Y
I rather use the existing furnace harness with a new adapter if possible. But if I can't find the adapter, I'll have to do what you recommended.

Old 01-09-11, 06:18 PM
probably not going to find the adapter. If I was close I could get you one off a used furnace, but not likely.

Old 01-10-11, 03:29 PM
Y
Yep I've found it's pretty much impossible to find any place selling just the adapter piece. I have another idea, rather than cutting off the harness furnace adapter, I noticed that wire just goes straight to my ignitor box, here's a pic of the model my furnace uses:

Rather than having my HSI wired to the furnace harness which then goes to the box, I could just connect my HSI directly to the two leads on the box as those connectors are much easier to find. Does anyone see any problems with that?

BTW one thing I noticed is the furnace harness wires currently connected to the box which my old HSI connected to are very thick, both the wires and the insulation around. The Honeywell Glowfly wiring is very thin compared to it. Could that possibly be an issues if I'm connecting directly to the box? Just checking.

Old 01-10-11, 07:32 PM
I don't think the wire is going to be long enough to reach it??

Old 01-11-11, 02:29 PM
Y
The wire on the Honeywell is more than long enough to reach the box for my furnace. I rewired it today and my furnace works now! Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 01-11-11, 02:37 PM
Ok, yeah if the wire is long enough, then no reason not to do it.

Glad you are up and running!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: