Humidity In House Low - Advice Needed

Old 01-10-11, 03:18 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Humidity In House Low - Advice Needed

We live in a 100 year old double brick house, all the windows have been replaced and through renovations some of the exterior walls have been insulated.

I live in Ontario, Canada and winter temperatures here range around -5C to -15C in the winter.

We had a Carrier Infinity high efficiency system installed along with the Carrier thermostat. The humidifier is the bypass type with the steel mesh cartridge.

The problem is low humidity in the house, even with the humidity at it's highest setting I can only get the humidity in the house to 20%.

Any thoughts? Should I be looking at a different type of humidifier are the bypass ones ok for high efficiency variable speed furnances?

Many thanks,

Detox

Old 01-10-11, 03:24 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
are you sure the current one is working? Can you hear it running water or see water through the drain? Is the damper open either on the unit or on the 6" duct that connects to it? Bypass are fine with HE equipment.

Old 01-11-11, 02:08 PM
D
The solenoid appears to be working, water is barely trickling through. I am not sure how damp that metal mesh cartridge is suppose to get, but it's barely damp.

The 6" bypass damper is open. I believe my furnance only activates the solenoid on "call to heat" so maybe that is why. I figured I should be able to get the house to 30% but even with the settings cranked I can't get beyond 22%.

Old 01-13-11, 04:20 PM
K
The humidifier SHOULD only be running when there's a call for heat otherwise the solenoid would be open 24/7 and wasting gallons of water. There are a lot of variables that can effect the humidity your house can maintain. The insulation of the home (which I saw you have upgraded), the "tightness" of your home (cracks around windows, doors, in your walls, etc.) and the cycling of your furnace can all affect the humidity your house can hold. Personally, my house can only get to about 27-28% due to all of those variables. Not much you can do but if the water is barely trickling you may want to check the valve connecting the humidifier water line to the hot water tank and make sure it's fully open.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: