Carrier 58GS050 Burners Won't Stay Lit

Old 01-11-11, 06:50 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Carrier 58GS050 Burners Won't Stay Lit

My son has an older Carrier Furnace model 58GS050. The furnace works intermittently. The pilot lights immediately when the T-stat calls for heat. The pilot remains lit for approximately 1 min. During this minute the ignitor continually operates. After the minute, the burners light and stay lit for approximately 5 seconds then go out and after a few seconds they light again. After a couple of trys the burners remain out but the pilot stays lit (for as long as you leave it on) with the ignitor constantly firing.

When this first happened I noticed a fast clicking noise in the furnace that appeared to come from the spark ignition module. I found that I could tap on the side of the furnace behind the module and get the burners to light and stay lit. Due to this I replaced the module. Now it gets frustating. When I am looking at the furnace it works fine. I got 5 straight successful starts out of it tonight. My son said that last night it worked as described at the beginning.

Any suggestions about where I should look?

Thanks!

Old 01-11-11, 07:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The Carrier three wire pilot which you have has a bimetal strip that turns on the main burner when it gets hot enough to turn on the power to the gas valve.

You have a pilot burner that needs to be taken apart and the pilot burner and pilot orifice cleaned. In particular, remove the brass compression fitting that holds the pilot tubing in the pilot burner. This provides access to the pilot orifice, which can be cleaned with the wire from a wire brush.

More than likely that will solve the problem. But the furnace probably needs to be cleaned and serviced by a repairman or you will get further and worse problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: