Nordyne Furnace Problems

Old 01-13-11, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nordyne Furnace Problems

I have a G5RC100C-16 that I am having some trouble with. It quit heating and I had a continous flash which according to the manual means false flame or gas relay shorted. I checked all safeties and checked all connections to the board. The furnace started and ran for a week until the same problem occurred. I cleaned the flame sensor tonight. What should the spiral ignitor resistance be? How do you check the flame sensor......put an ampmeter in series with it and read mA?? I'm trying to figure out if this is a board problem or something small and easy.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-11, 04:39 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
flame signal is measured in micro amps DC and is measured in series. when this code is happening is there a flame when there should not be? Spiral ignitors are very brittle and fail often. I've measured resistance over 250 ohms on them and they have worked, but I don't trust for anything more than a band-aid until I can get a better HSI in there. It's most likely the board.................

Old 01-14-11, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure about the flame present when there shouldn't be, when I looked at it the furnace was just flashing the code. I just spoke to Nordyne and they said alot of times people have a hard time distinguishing the constant flash code and the one flash code. I guess I will try the board next time it goes down, I'm just hesitant to do that because they are kind of pricey.