Heat won't turn off

Old 01-14-11, 10:29 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Heat won't turn off

Hello All;
I have a two zone oil fired furnace with hot water baseboard heat. Recently I have been having intermitent problems with the zone on the main floor heating way above the set temp. The only way I can stop it when this occurs is by turning off the boiler at the emergency switch to shut the furnace off. After a while I will turn it back on and everything will work fine for a day or two. I have replaced the thermostat, the zone valve head (Taco) and still have the same problem. My next move will be to drain the boiler and replace the zone valve itself but before I did that I was wondering if there is anything else that I may be missing?

Old 01-15-11, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
If you have not tried disconnecting the wires from the zone valve, I suggest you do so. This will tell us if the problem is in the wiring or the valve itself. If you disconnect the wires & the pipes to the baseboard start to cool off in a little while (10-15 minutes) the problem is with the wiring. If the pipes stay hot, the problem is the valve itself sticking. I suspect the latter to be the case.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: