Gas Furnace

Old 01-20-11, 08:25 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Furnace

I have a 15 year old gas furnace and was told that I have a leak in the pilot light tube and that the tube could not be replaced and the whole unit has to be replaced - is this right?

Old 01-20-11, 08:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Highly unlikely the pilot tube can't be replaced. It might be so if the gas vavle is a Honeywell Smart Valve. You may have to replace the whole pilot assembly. Not 100% sure.

Old 01-20-11, 08:50 PM
R
have you ever heard of replacing just the pilot tube - it's just a short aluminum pipe with tow connections. My buyers a/c guy said they can't due ti for liabilty reasons - seems odd

Old 01-20-11, 08:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Horse crap. It's done all the time. Every HVAC supply house I know of sells the tubing & fittings. They just want to sell you a bigger ticket part. What part do they want to replace? Neither the gas valve nor pilot burner usually comes with pilot tubing. It has to be field fabricated. Find a more honest contractor.

Old 01-20-11, 09:01 PM
R
they said the WHOLE UNIT has to be replaced - it does not make sense that the pilot pipe cannot be replaced and reattahed to the pilot assembly and burner - is this a known safety issue? Are you familiar with the part I am talking about?

Old 01-21-11, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I simply can't believe any contractor could justify replacing the whole furnace because of a cracked pilot tube. There has to be more to the story than what I'm reading here. Call another contractor for a second opinion. Talk to friends, neighbors, relatives, co-workers, etc. about who they use for service & what they think about those various contractors. Select one based on what you learn from your "interviews".

Old 01-21-11, 06:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, it's nonsense. Just trying to panic people who have a minor gas leak instead of replacing it at low cost.

Did they leave the furnace on or shut it off?

Frankly I'd have another outfit make the repair and refuse to pay the bill of that out fit on the grounds of fraud and/or incompetence.

Old 01-25-11, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Mrjoebiz, the post read that the pilot tube was leaking not a CO issue. I think you posted this in 5 differents posts.

The pilot tube is leaking at what end? I have seen contractors strip the gas valve side by cross thread, but that would just require a new gas valve. That is indeed if its the valve side of the threads that got messed up. Also if a leak on the pilot side its a threaded fillitting also and probably needs tightening.

I am putting this as an example for a brand of boiler. You never did say what the make and model of your unit was????

560-742-860 - Weil Mclain 560-742-860 - Pilot Tubing w/ Compression Fittings, 22-3/4" Long

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: