Oil primary/cad sensor problem (I think)

Old 01-27-11, 08:04 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil primary/cad sensor problem (I think)

I have a Carlin burner that started acting up the other day. Other than extremely cold temperatures I cannot pinpoint any other changes that may have had any effect. We realized that our burner was not running so I went down and checked the reset on the primary. The burner fired right up and everything seemed fine. A little while later I realized that it was out again. I started to see a pattern. It appeared that the burner would run its cycle and bring eveything up to temperature (it is a hot water radiator system) and once the cycle completes it seemed to trip the primary. Unsure what was causing the problem I purchased a new primary and a new cad cell. After installing both items I now have a problem where the burner will run for a period of time anywhere from thirty seconds to twenty minutes and then trip the primary. The burner is igniting with a nice yellow flame. With brand new cad cell and primay I can't seem to figure out what keeps tripping the primary. Any thoughts or tests that I can run would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-11, 11:47 AM
P
So I have found that I can keep the burner running by placing a jumper on the FF terminals on the primary. This has been helpful as it allows me to bring the house back up to temperature but once the cycle finishes I have to remove the jumper for it to fire again. Agaij, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-28-11, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
When you replaced the cad cell, did you just replace the cell or the whole assembly? I'm wondering about a possible bad cell holder or wire.

Old 01-28-11, 02:33 PM
P
Originally Posted by pentabarf View Post
I have a Carlin burner that started acting up the other day. Other than extremely cold temperatures I cannot pinpoint any other changes that may have had any effect. We realized that our burner was not running so I went down and checked the reset on the primary. The burner fired right up and everything seemed fine. A little while later I realized that it was out again. I started to see a pattern. It appeared that the burner would run its cycle and bring eveything up to temperature (it is a hot water radiator system) and once the cycle completes it seemed to trip the primary. Unsure what was causing the problem I purchased a new primary and a new cad cell. After installing both items I now have a problem where the burner will run for a period of time anywhere from thirty seconds to twenty minutes and then trip the primary. The burner is igniting with a nice yellow flame. With brand new cad cell and primay I can't seem to figure out what keeps tripping the primary. Any thoughts or tests that I can run would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Ahead of that cad cell is a plate to spread the air on a lot of the burners. There might be a 1/2" hole so the cad cell can see the flame. Is it clean in there so the cell can work. Later Paul

Old 01-28-11, 04:11 PM
P
To be safe, I replaced the entire cad assembly.

Old 01-28-11, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since you've replaced the whole cad cell assembly & the primary, I have to believe either the cad cell is not getting a good look at the flame or something is wrong with the flame.
Start by removing the nozzle assembly. Carlin end cones are attached to the nozzle assembly. Clean the cone with a small wire brush & service the fuel system (replace nozzle, filter, & pump screen). Flush the system before installing the new nozzle. Install the new nozzle, fire the burner & let's see if it behaves now.

Old 01-28-11, 04:37 PM
P
I did just put a new nozzle in, but I did not think to clean the end cone. I will tear down and clean and report back in a little while.

Old 01-28-11, 04:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
By "clean" I mean exactly that. If it isn't clean enough to eat off of, it isn't clean.

Old 01-30-11, 03:24 PM
P
Sory for the delay in response I had a few things come up.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that I now feel like a fool. I usually clean the cone when I replace the nozzle and this time I didn't and never even attributed that to any of my issues. But everything has been running just fine since the cleaning.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-30-11, 07:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Trust me, you don't have the market cornered on feeling like a fool. I just had one kick my butt. Spent 3 hrs on what should have taken 1 hr.
Glad all is well now.