"Pressure Switch is Closed with Inducer Off"

Old 02-02-11, 10:32 PM
"Pressure Switch is Closed with Inducer Off"

I'm having intermittent problems with the gas valve not opening on my model: g6rao72c-12. I'm confused because the error code indicates a pressure switch problem, however the ignition process doesn't terminate until the gas valve fails to open. What happens is the inducer comes on, the igniter lights, the gas valve stays closed, the igniter shuts off, then the LED starts blinking 3 times, the inducer shuts down for a few seconds. Then the process starts all over again. Based on what I'm reading in the manual, if it's the pressure switch the igniter should never become engaged.

I can power the system off and back on and it will clear the problem for a few hours, but it's becoming more frequent.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-11, 11:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You need to test the various systems to determine what is working properly and what is not. From your description, the ignition control module is probably bad, but you need to test the individual systems to confirm that.

Old 02-03-11, 02:05 PM
What good is an error code then

So, you're telling me that the error code is essentially useless... So much for do it yourself help.

Old 02-03-11, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Diagnostic codes are often helpful. But they indicate general areas to be investigated, not solutions by themselves.

A classic case is a diagnostic code that indicates that the pressure switch isn't closing. It is very, very common for people to see that code and replace the pressure switch.

But the pressure switch is the problem only about 5% of the time. 95% of the time there is a problem in the venting system, heat exchanger, drain or other system that is causing the pressure switch to stay open. So changing the pressure switch willie-nilly is almost always a waste of time and money.