WHite Rogers furnace module exchange

Old 02-03-11, 06:42 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
WHite Rogers furnace module exchange

Hello, I'm looking to find out if model 50a50-112 can be exchanged with another model number. I'm looking to buy a used working one to have as a spare but currently can't find a 50a50-112 and was wondering if another model would be a match. Thanks, Jake

Old 02-03-11, 07:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Part of a furnace repairman's skill is being able to substitute parts appropriately. But that often requires judgment, experience and training.

Very likely there are substitutes for your original board. But those boards may have different wiring connections and harnesses or may require that DIP switches be set or whatever.

Personally, I wouldn't borrow trouble by getting a spare ignition module unless you are SURE you can install it correctly.

Keep in mind that the time that a part is MOST LIKELY to fail is when it's installed new. If you buy a used part now and it fails to work when you need it a year from now, will that be because the part you bought is no good or because your didn;t install it correctly? How would you know and what would you do?

In my view, it's a mistake for DIYers to try to save by substituting parts. Aim to get the exact original equipment part if you can, even if it costs you more money. Ease and reliability of installing the new part is more important to DIYers than saving a few bucks, is my view.

The bottom line is WHAT DO YOU DO if a new part doesn't work? It may be your diagnosis of the problem is wrong. You may not have installed the new part correctly. The new part may be no good.

If you've just purchased a new part from a reliable distributor, you may be able to get some help or your money back if you have a problem like that.

Old 02-03-11, 08:23 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I did not know that this board was owned by HVAC folks who respond with doom and gloom for DIY people.

HVAC isin't brain surgery, and WH codes pretty much tell you where the problem is with codes. I have fixed many ICP furnaces in my day but would like to find exchange parts.

Having said that, and to not get booted from this forum, are there are any modules that interchange with the 50a50-112 other than the 50a55-843 universal module?

True DIY'ers please only respond.

Old 02-03-11, 11:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As a true do it yourselfer, you didn't respond to my list of objections to stockpiling used parts.

Suppose you install your used, substitute part a couple of years after you buy it and it doesn't work. What do you do?

I have nothing against DIY repairs ---- helping DIYers is why I've posted hundreds of times on this board. But I figure I am helping people by encouraging them to think through the difficulties they may encounter with certain strategies.

Frankly, if you can't figure out which model numbers can function as substitutes for the part you have, you probably don't have the skill to diagnose problems your replacement part may have.

But don't let my cautions discourage you from charging on with your plans.

Old 02-04-11, 09:15 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Try this

Honeywell S9200U1000, Honeywell Ignition Control Module
The S9200U1000 Honeywell Ignition Control Module can be used with conventional ... White Rodgers 50A50-110, 50A50-111, 50A50-112, 50A50-113, 50A50-142, ...
https://www.pexuniverse.com/honeywel...rnace-control- module -

Old 02-04-11, 09:19 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: