oil furnace pump shaft seems to be slipping

Old 12-25-00, 03:05 PM
Visiting Guest
My oil furnace just quit.The oil furnace pump motor runs and the fuel oil pump fan turns but the fuel oil pump does not.There is a connecting coupler between the pump motor and the pump which seems to be some kind of gear reducer.This seems to be slipping on the shaft of the pump.I'm not quite sure how to take it out and look at it .Do I take off the motor to get to it or do I take off the pump or is it even a servicable component requiring the whole pump/fan assembly to be replaced.In addition I'm able to spin the pump with a screwdriver so I know it's not jammed

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-00, 03:27 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
What your refering to is the pump/motor coupling. Easiest way to remove and replace is from the pump side of the burner. Turn off electric, remove two securing nut/bolts on side of pump and pull our pump. Remove coupling. Note: coupling has and insert on either end which conforms to the pump and motor shafts.

Old 12-25-00, 06:13 PM
Visiting Guest
problem fixed

Thanks for the info. Took pump off and all I Had to do was reinsert the coupling end onto the shaft.Works great.Bent longnose aviation pliers make the job of putting on the coupling a lot easier than trying to use your fingers.Thanks again. ;-) Daryn