Which direction should my furnace filter go?

Old 02-07-11, 01:46 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which direction should my furnace filter go?

Hello everyone

I've just changed my furnace filter, and I'm not 100% sure if I did it correctly. I had this gas Lennox furnace installed about 3 years ago and had been purchasing the large vertical "box" filters from Home Depot ever since. Recently, Lowe's had a special 2-pack so I bought those instead. This is why I'm confused... The filters from Home Depot always said to install the filter so that the metal mesh is facing the blower fan, and that's what I did. These new filters from Lowe's only have an air flow direction arrow, and if I install it so the arrow is in the same direction as the air flow, the metal mesh is now on the opposite side of where the blower fan is.

Figure 5 on this website is very similar to how my furnace is set up: How do I find, identify, measure and change my furnace filter? - iaqsource.com

So the large vent thing is on the left of the filter, and the blower fan is on right.

I'm a little embarrassed to ask this question--I should be able to figure it out on my own! I'm not feeling confident, though, as I've read/heard different information. Some websites say the wire mesh side should always face the blower, some say the opposite. What to do?

Old 02-07-11, 04:09 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
arrow always points toward furnace/blower. Air is always pulled into the blower and then exits out the other side of the furnace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: