York Diamond 80: One blink, everything else seems normal

Old 02-07-11, 07:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Diamond 80: One blink, everything else seems normal

Hello!

I have a 15 y.o. York Diamond 80 furnace and have recently experienced the following:

1. House was COLD!
2. Thermostat was set to temp higher than the actual temp in house
3. Pulled covers like I knew what I was doing.
4. Noticed one blink on the indicator light - panel on furnace for troubleshooting rather ambiguous - no help
5. Wiggled the contacts, checked the plastic tube to make sure no cracks/holes (there were none)
6. Replaced covers
7. 4 mins and voila! System cycled normally and everything seemed fine.
8. 2 days go by and house was COLD again
9. Went down and pulled the covers, saw one blink, then replaced covers without doing anything else - voila! Working again. Cycled several times just fine.
10. Every day or every other day now this happens and is corrected for a while by doing nothing besides resetting the system (pulling the bottom cover)

The ignitor works fine. I read that this may mean I need a new gas valve.

Your thoughts? Thank you so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-11, 08:32 AM
You need to find out what the 1 blink means. There should be a sticker on the control panel that says what the diagnostic codes mean. there could be so many problems from no ignition to thermostat problems and everything in between. i'm no expert but fooling around with my system i learned a lot, they are quite simple in theory. post up what your diag code means and we'll go from there.

Old 02-07-11, 01:30 PM
do not assume its the gas valve. from your description it could be anything. There's a few things that reset once power has been turned off and back on. 1. if the pressure switch isnt activated in a certain amount of time it will shut off, sometimes, 2. if a roll out switch has sensed flame it will shut off until power is disconnected, 3. if a relay is stuck on the circuit board, resetting power might fix that too.

Old 02-13-11, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by ender2272 View Post
do not assume its the gas valve. from your description it could be anything. There's a few things that reset once power has been turned off and back on. 1. if the pressure switch isnt activated in a certain amount of time it will shut off, sometimes, 2. if a roll out switch has sensed flame it will shut off until power is disconnected, 3. if a relay is stuck on the circuit board, resetting power might fix that too.
Thanks for getting back so quickly and sorry for my delayed response. I was expecting that I would be notified via email when there were responses, but suppose I have to check my acct preferences. I have been in this house for a little under two years. The service sticker indicates that the circuit board was replaced in the last three years. What would cause 1 & 2 you list here? How can I diagnose? Thanks again.

Old 02-14-11, 03:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, I would hunt around on the furnace for a list of the diagnostic codes and what they mean. Often times they can be found on the inside of the fan compartment cover.

You probably have an intermittent failure of the furnace to light properly. Without the diagnostic code you will need to take the cover off the burner compartment and become familiar with the series of things that happen when the thermostat is turned up.

List that series of events here.

Then you will need to cycle the furnace through that ignition sequence until you can observe it failing to light properly, and report at what point in the ignition sequence it stops.