flame coming from crossover tube

Old 02-07-11, 04:24 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
flame coming from crossover tube

I have a Carrier 58SS080 natural gas furnace. The fusible link went out, and after I replaced it it went out again after 2 days. There is flame coming from the crossover tube. It extends about 1" from the front edge of the burners. The flame joins the main burner flames and enters the heat exchanger. A small bit of flame burns at the ends of the crossover tubes (1/8 to 1/4" long flame) and this flame does not enter the exchanger, but just heats up the cabinet. I have removed and cleaned the burners. I have checked the flue for obstructions.

Is it normal for flame to be present along the entire length of the crossover tube (4 burners wide)? Suggestions?

Old 02-07-11, 04:33 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
yes, normal for flame along entire length, no not a big flame, gas pressure should be checked along with heat exchanger. Can you get a video or picture?

Old 02-09-11, 09:43 AM
E
Flame Description

My apologies, I've tried to upload the photographs but the description of how to do it in the FAQ section does not match the options on the Post Reply screen, and I don't have a web site where I can post it separately.

The flame coming from the crossover tube is 2 stage: the first stage is a bright blue flame that extends about 3/16" to 1/4" or so from the tube horizontally towards the exchanger; the second stage is a blueish transparent flame that extends across the 2" gap between the burners and the heat exchanger wall and then merges with the bright blue flame of the 4 burners, entering the exchanger tubes.

I'll keep trying to figure out a way to get a photo to you. Hints would be appreciated.

Old 02-09-11, 10:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry, but I find your descriptions to be inadequate to offer any help.

Old 02-09-11, 04:35 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
pm me your email address, I will email you for the pics and you can send to me, I will post them for you

Old 02-09-11, 04:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 30 Posts
Photos

The best way for us to see pictures is to post them on photobucket.com or similar site then provide a link to the album here.

Old 02-10-11, 07:14 PM
E
Here are two photographs of the burners under operation. Thanks for the tip on photobucket.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...9/IMG_2379.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...9/IMG_2378.jpg

Old 02-10-11, 09:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 30 Posts
From the looks of the photos it seems the flame is coming out the very end of the crossovers & impinging on the cabinet. How old is the furnace & is this a new problem?

Before making any modifications to the burners I suggest getting the gas pressure checked & confirming the correct orifices are installed.

Old 02-10-11, 11:22 PM
I see nothing out of the ordinary myself. The left hand crossover port in picture #1 is going to be inside the heat exchange and shouldn't be a problem from what I see.

No problem I can see in #2 either.

Seattle Pioneer

Old 02-10-11, 11:25 PM
Since I don't see any problems with the burner operation, I'd be suspicious that the inducer motor isn't starting or coming up to speed reliably. I'd operate that 40-50 times or so by turning up the thermostat and using the door switch to turn on the inducer motor and burners. See if you can observe anything out of the ordinary in how the inducer motor and burners operate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: