high-pitched whine from gas furnace

Old 02-12-11, 06:34 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
high-pitched whine from gas furnace

I have been hearing a high-pitched whine coming from my gas forced hot air furnace. I only hear it when the furnace is not running, and when I removed the access panel, it seems like the sound is coming from the thermocouple/pilot light area.

We recently had a gas line put in for a new gas range, and after that was when I noticed the whine, but it could have been happening before and I just never noticed it. I plan on calling my HVAC tech to look at the furnace, but thought I could get come ideas on what could be causing this sound. Thanks for your help.

Theresa

Old 02-12-11, 06:43 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
if it truly is from the pilot area and not while the furnace is running, then the pilot may need cleaned or the gas pressure may need adjusted. Its a good idea to have your furnace cleaned and checked over every year. IMO

Old 02-12-11, 06:52 AM
T
high pictched whine

Thanks, I was thinking it might be the pressure, I don't know if adding a new gas appliance affects the pressure or not. Previously, the only gas appliance we had was the furnace, but now we have the gas range.

The furnace was checked at the beginning of the heating system, BTW.

Old 02-12-11, 10:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you HAVE a standing pilot light in the furnace ---- one that is burning while you hear this noise? If you do I like HVAC techs idea of cleaning the pilot burner and pilot orifice.

That's something that would typically be done during a good annual maintenance appointment, but perhaps not in a "check." Do you have a list of the services that were performed during this check?

Old 02-12-11, 10:57 AM
T
Yes, it is a standing pilot light.

Old 02-13-11, 10:23 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Turn off the pilot and see if the noise stops.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: