Emergency - need new furnace advice.

Old 02-14-11, 11:52 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Emergency - need new furnace advice.

I have a 60+ year old fairly small cape. Had no heat, then called local utility, PSE&G. Naturally this original system has finally come to itsí end. In general, is there any big down side to having them install a new forced air system, probably I will also add AC? Are they usually competitive with private contractors? This is a rental house with tenants and I must get it done ASAP. I canít help with the process since I had open heart surgery one week ago. My wife will have to handle dealing with the installation with me participating from bed at our home. Any rough idea what a new system would cost with and without AC? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-15-11, 07:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 31 Posts
I can empathize with the heart surgery thing having been down that road a bit over 10 years ago myself.
The best advise I can give you is to check with friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. about whom they've had do similar work, get a few bids & go from there. I know it's winter & you are in a jam but the extra day or two could make a big difference in quality & price.

Old 02-16-11, 05:00 AM
B
Went with the PSE&G utility here in NJ. 5K for the furnace and another 5K for the AC. I did not go for the AC. Only good thing is that they offer a 2 year interest free loan. It will be done today. As my wife always says, if you have a problem like this furnace thing, "throw money at it."

Old 02-16-11, 05:04 AM
B
Grady:
Just noticed you live in the promised land, Delaware. Lord willing, I will be leaving tax hell NJ and joining you this year.
Where do you live in Del?

Old 02-16-11, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 31 Posts
You have a private message

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: