Roll Out Switch keeps tripping on York furnace

Old 02-18-11, 02:29 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roll Out Switch keeps tripping on York furnace

Hi Everyone -- Any advice is appreciated!

My 8 year old York furnace has had a rough season. It began with a high-limit switch that went bad and was replaced. Shortly after being replaced (with the same part number) the roll out switch on top of the burners began intermittently tripping, upon reaching the set temperature or prior to, but NEVER on ignition (which seems like an important observation). This leaves the fan continuously running until the switch is manually reset.

A few weeks ago, while continuing to troubleshoot and observe, in hopes of identifying a pattern, I received an error code for the ignitor, which appeared to be cracked upon closer inspection. I replaced the ignitor, and at the same time, put in a new roll-out switch. I also cleaned and verified the flame sensor to be working properly), tried cleaning out the burner box with air and vacuum.

New problems gone, however, I'm back to the roll-out switch (5 flashes) needing to be reset, intermittently. I also noticed that it appears to need multiple resets between 60-70 but above 72 it could run for hours, sometimes without needing a reset (unless, of course, it reaches set temperature (say 80), then it seems like a 50/50 shot of turing off properly (without tripping of roll off switch).

In summary: It has never tripped on ignition, but mainly when turning off, or before and more frequently at lower temperatures.

I crawl down and re-set the switch every time it trips, but there has to be a way to pinpoint the problem so that I can work towards finding a solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
New homeowner

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-11, 02:36 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
if a roll out switch is tripping this indicates a serious problem either with the burners or heat exchanger or draft. If you unable to observe the fault when it happens then it is best to call a PRO. IMO

Old 02-18-11, 03:28 PM
S
tripped high limit...could be big problem

i agree...limit switches that trip,trip for a reason......have you checked the temperature rise?.....if the temp rise is ok and within furnace specs,you may have a cracked heat exchanger...get somebody to check it asap....

Old 02-18-11, 03:28 PM
D
I've observed the fault when it happens and I've attached a video (if it would help to see it.) The PRO's I've already called, long story short, have gladly accepted trip charges in exchange for a manual reset and a clean bill of health. I would really like to further troubleshoot in an attempt to narrow down the possibilities. Thank you for your help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJWouU76-MA

Old 02-18-11, 03:48 PM
D
The current problem is the tripping of the roll out switch and not the high limit switch. The original high limit switch had deteriorated, went bad and was replaced (temp within spec). No further problem with any high limit switches. I only mentioned it for background.

If the inside temp was too hot and tripping without an actual flame roll out, why does it tend to consistently run longer (without tripping) when the house is in the 70's vs tripping more frequently in the 60's?

Old 02-18-11, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by donedidit View Post
The current problem is the tripping of the roll out switch and not the high limit switch. The original high limit switch had deteriorated, went bad and was replaced (temp within spec). No further problem with any high limit switches. I only mentioned it for background.

If the inside temp was too hot and tripping without an actual flame roll out, why does it tend to consistently run longer (without tripping) when the house is in the 70's vs tripping more frequently in the 60's?
coincidence... plain and simple. the video shows me nothing without being there and inspecting the system, if you have had someone out to identify the problem and you can now get this to duplicate on demand, then they should not have a problem find a solution and doing so with either a reduced trip and diagnostic charge (depending how long ago they were out) or no additional trip and diagnostic..... IMO Intermittent problems are very hard to diagnosis. They should understand that as should you. Call your PROFESSIONAL HVAC COMPANY and explain the circumstances...... I'm hard pressed to be able to give any further advice over the internet, too much risk involved with roll out switches and the known issues that cause them to trip. Good luck!!!

Old 02-18-11, 04:33 PM
D
Maybe coincidence, not so sure about plain and simple. Almost always, I have to reset 3 or 4 times between the temp rising 62-72 degrees, throughout the course of the day. Over 72 degrees and it will usually run 24 hours or more, if I let it, unless, of course, I let it drop below 70, then it seems to struggle and trip until it warms up again.

I can certainly respect your opinion, hvactechfw, but at this time I'm looking to learn more about these 'known issues' that you refer to, before going that route again. Thank you for your help.

I understand and appreciate your concern, and I'm aware of the nature of intermittent issues. I'm the troubleshooting type, and I love to learn, I'm no where close to frustrated and I'm very much looking forward to getting some other opinions, possibly bounce some ideas back and forth.

I would love to hear from some others who might have suggestions that may assist in the narrowing down or scoping of the problem.

Thank you for your help.

Old 02-18-11, 04:43 PM
you are talking about a length of run time difference, not a difference in temperatures. As far as known issues, they are Heat exchangers, burners and draft all things that need to be checked by a professional! Not an amateur.:NO NO NO:

Old 02-18-11, 05:13 PM
D
Again, I thank you for your help and concern, hvactechfw. You have made yourself perfectly clear (thanks for the extra visuals). Have a great day!

With all due respect, if there is anyone else out there willing to treat this as a hypothetical situation for discussion purposes, I look forward to hearing from you. I may be more amateur than professional in my experience and number of units serviced, but contrary to previous assumptions, I am newly HVAC certified and that should be more than sufficient in carrying on a discussion, seeking advice in a doityourself forum.

Old 03-10-11, 10:30 AM
D
I am certified and have been working in the HVAC field for over 10 years now. I have been running into this very same problem but on brand new units. On one I replaced the switch and never had the issue again. Another one I cleaned the Flame sensor and same thing, the problem went away. I went in there in all of these checking the burners and the ventilation and everything is good and again these are all York or Guardian Units that seem to have these issues we're almost new. Other individuals who work with me and others i know have ran into the same issues. Let me know if you figure it out. I am starting to believe that every one is trying to save a buck so York is putting cheaper OEM parts in @ the Factory and has been for the past several years. Good Luck!!! I hope you are able to fix the issues.

Old 03-10-11, 11:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dayzero,

If I had doubts about a flame sensor, I'd measure the DC microamps to confirm if the flame sensor was the problem. If the DC microamps were down to 1-1.5 and rose to 6-8 or so after cleaning it that should confirm the problem.

In the opening post on this thread it was reported that the flame rollout switch was opening and being reset. Were you finding a resettable limit switch that had opened?