Goodman GUX080-4 Rev.S, Honeywell S8610U controller, no Pilot Spark

Old 02-21-11, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman GUX080-4 Rev.S, Honeywell S8610U controller, no Pilot Spark

Hi

I have a Goodman GUX-080-4 Rev.S. with Honeywell controller S8610U. I think that has intermittent pilot ignitor with flame sensor.

The problem is, about a month ago, the pilot spark starts randomly, and it totally fails this week. When thermostat meets the setting temperature, I can hear a click sound from controller, but no spark all.

I've tried to:

1. clean the flame sensor by steel wool or sand paper, it does not work.
2. clean the ignitor with steel wool. but no luck.

I also tried to see if any current from Ignitor connector from Honeywell controller, I move my screwdriver close to Ignitor connector, and I can see a red/pick spark, but once I connect the ignitor cable, no spark.

I have multimeter, but don't know how to use it to check the controller, and this Honeywell controller has no any LED to know what's going on. And the gas seems ok, I can smell gas out when controller starts, and shut off after few seonds without flame detected.

My question is:

1. should I change the controller? or
2. should I replace the ignitor/flame sensor module?
3. if I need to change the controller, can I also replace ignitor to be a hot surface ignitor, not the intermittent pilot ignitor?

Any help is appreciated.

best regards,

Alex

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-11, 04:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
There is a troubleshooting flow chart starting on page 15 here:
http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...it/69-0463.pdf

The most common causes are a bad ground or bad ignition cable.

Old 02-25-11, 04:08 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your time and information. I follow that instruction and install the ground cable, the same, no luck. I now purchase a goodman pilot burner assembly, hopefully, it will work. will report the result later.

-Alex

Old 02-25-11, 09:50 PM
first off I'm not a tech, just a regular joe homeowner. I had a goodman with problem with the pilot, there is a small reset button and sensor right near where the pilot is. I forget what its called, but mine was tripping and prventing the pilot from lighting. It turns out it does this for a very good reason, I had a cracked (actually pitted from rust corrosion) heat exchanger. I could simply reset and it would work for several cycles before tripping again. I replaced the entire unit the following week. no sence in subjecting your family to elevated levels ofcarbon monoxcide.

Old 02-28-11, 09:42 PM
Hi,

The Pilot burner assembly arrived today, it is Goodman B1401003S pilot burner module. The new one seems to work for the first two times, then the pilot spark won't start.

Then, I suspect if that is the problem of transformer, so I replace it a new 24v transformer, the same, can only see spark randomly. And, now, it totally dead.

I follow the troubleshooting flowchart, and this time, I can not see spark in the controller's connector. So, does that mean I need to buy a new controller?

@returntoearth, thank you for the information. I can not find any reset button in my furnace, mine is Goodman GUX080-4 Rev.S, and seems been fixed or modified by previous owner, not sure if this furnace still has original part. I'll try to find the diagram and see if I can find the reset button.

best regards,

Alex

Old 03-01-11, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The ignition cable & electode only carry the current to the pilot burner. It does not generate the spark. That is done by the ignition module
(S8610U). It is possible the module is bad but I've found many modules are replaced needlessly & the real problem is a bad ground. Make sure you have a good ground going all the way back to the electrical panel.

Old 03-02-11, 10:45 PM
Hi Grady,

Thank you again. I'm not the pro, but I tried to trace all the ground connection. It seems to me that all the device inside furnace all connect to same ground (furnace,) however, the electrical panel seems not. I can only see two lines connect to panel, so I think there is no ground line connect to that panel, and that probably means the furnace is not connected to correct ground? And does that also mean I need to replace the power line from the main panel to furnace?

best regards,

Alex

Old 03-03-11, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There should be three wires from the furnace to the panel. Usually they are black (hot), white (neutral), & bare (ground). If there is no ground you can run a separate ground wire or replace the existing 2 conductor wire with either 3 conductor or 2 conductor with ground. Please keep in mind this may or may not cure your problem but without a good ground all bets are off.

Old 03-05-11, 03:35 PM
Hi Grady,

Thanks. I took a day to change the conductor line from furnace to main panel with three-wire, and the result is still, spark at first two or three time, then it stops. I think it is time for me to purchase a new controller Honeywell S8601U, and change it. It now works well, I'll wait for several days and see any issue.

I really appreciate that you share so valuable knowledge to me, and that really fix my problem.

best regards,

Alex

Old 03-05-11, 04:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Alex,
Are you saying you get two or three sparks then the furnace lights? If that's the case, it sounds to me like it's working properly. The spark should not continue once the pilot is lit.

Old 03-05-11, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unfortunately, this thread is such a disorganized mish mash I can't understand what is going on.

My bias would be to start over with a new thread.

Old 03-07-11, 11:05 AM
HI Grady,

In my case, once pilot is lit, spark stops, I think the sensor still works.

My original problem is, when thermostate call for the heat, my furnace pilot module does not spark at all. With some fix (to polish the pilot burner module, to change transformer, and change the pilot burner assembly,) it work in random case, that is it spark sometimes, most of time, it just mute, so no pilot is lit.

Now, with new ground wire and new controller, spark works, and pilot is lit normally.

Thanks.

Alex

Old 03-07-11, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the problem is fixed. If not, please let us know.