getting rid of old 500 gallon oil tank in basement

Old 02-23-11, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
getting rid of old 500 gallon oil tank in basement

Ive had natural gas furnace for 40 years.My old fuel oil tank is mounted on legs in the corner of my basement.Impossible to extract it from my basement without cutting it to pieces and its not worh the trouble.The fuel oil is empty. Can i using a sawzall or something of that sort cut the top of it off and make a workshop table out of it? Id probably only has to take off a foot or so and then i could get rid of that section.I could then put a wooden lid on it if i could cut it straight enough. OK Am i dreaming or is this a bad idea? Could my house catch fire or blow up? Just trying to put that area to use in my basement. thanks for any ideas.

Old 02-23-11, 08:44 PM
B
A sawzall will create sparks and if there is even a small amount of fuel oil in there it could be a problem. I'd call a pro and see how much they want to remove it. Then you could build a nice work bench or whatever in the open space.

Old 02-23-11, 11:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cut it open and I would be concerned you would have an odor problem.

Adding some dry ice ought to get rid of the oxygen and allow you to cut it up with a sawzall. Frankly, I'd want to get rid of it if it were me. Of course it's not...

Old 02-24-11, 07:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 31 Posts
Sawzall

I cut up fuel oil tanks all the time with a recip saw & have never had any kind of problem nor have I ever seen any sparks. The use of dry ice certainly would displace the oxygen but you would want to be careful not to use too much & displace the oxygen in the basement.
SeattlePioneer has a good point about the odor. I have to agree with his comment about complete removal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: