Carrier furnace only working when t-stat in 'hold' mode

Old 02-26-11, 09:57 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier furnace only working when t-stat in 'hold' mode

Carrier Model 58PAV-111 Series 100 furnace (builder model) w/ Honeywell programable thermostat. Does have a honeywell humidifier unit as well. All new with house from 2002. Outside Chicago area. Moderately handy person, but willing to admit when I am outmatched.

The unit will not turn on when in 'programmed' mode (using t-stat to raise and lower throughout day). If I turn it to 'hold' a temp then go down and flick the lightswitch on the side of the unit off then on again, it seems to be working fine. Leaving it in hold mode seems to be working as it should.
Seems to me like a thermostat issue. Would replacing the thermostat be recommended? I know I added a programmable to my old house (like twelve years ago) then found out my furnace wasn't compatible with a certain type of programmable t-stat. Is this still something I need to be aware of?
TIA.

Old 02-26-11, 10:03 PM
T
Additionally, it seems to run more then I'd think it should when in hold mode. We had an issue where the filters were too good - i was using allergen filters - and our HVAC guy suggested that the unit wasn't getting enough air with this in there (it was running for like a minute every ten minutes and not heating the house) so I switched to the cheap fiberglass filters. Now it seems to run for like 3-5 mins every 20 mins to keep house set at 70. It's like mid-30s here now.

Old 02-27-11, 02:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the thermostat was the problem, I'd expect you could switch to "hold" and have the furnace turn on without having to turn the power on and off at the furnace.

The short answer is that when the furnace on light or symbol on the thermostat switches on, the furnace ignition cycle should start and the furnace should light.

If the furnace on light or symbol isn't on, the furnace should stay off.

There shouldn't be a compatibility problem using the Honeywell thermostat with your furnace.

Old 02-27-11, 08:01 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
you said you were turning the switch on and off for the furnace, this is resetting the control board and allowing it attempt to run again, most likely your system is in lockout. Check for a diagnostic light through the blower door while the furnace is not working as it should. the legend for the code produced by the light should be on the blower door or another part of the furnace.

Old 02-27-11, 09:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Too old of a furnace to have diagnostic lights, hvac tech.

Old 02-27-11, 11:58 AM
no its not, made in 2002?!

Old 02-27-11, 12:00 PM
T
So what you're saying is that the light by the blower (there is a red light on through a little round plastic window by the blower - if never noticed it not to be a red steady glow) should be on only when the furnace is on? Next time i have to power cycle it, i'll check that light first.
Currently, the furnace is running (it's been set to hold 72 since 6am), The t-stat has a little arrow pointing to 'system on'. There is a contunous red light down by the blower, which according to the sticker means it's getting 24vac power. Also on the sticker are codes (i've never seen a little number any time i've looked through that window) going from 11-14, 21-24 etc.
The unit just shut off. The system on arrow is gone off the t-stat, and the red light is on on the blower.
I've got Amy HVAC coming next week anyway for a cleaning, but i'll try and cycle it using the programming to see if I get a number or change in that light.

Thanks guys.

Old 02-27-11, 12:08 PM
the light will flash at you, there is a legend typically on the blower door or some times inside the blower door or somewhere else on the furnace the provides you with what the trouble code means. This will tell us where to go from there.

Old 02-27-11, 01:42 PM
T
Damn thing. I set it to run program and this time it worked properly (of course). It seemed to have its big problem in the morning. We set it down to 66 at night and it wasn't kicking back on.
i'll leave it and see.
Thanks for your advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: