Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Help ,oil company trying to sell an ultra sound for my mothers oil tank ? what's

Help ,oil company trying to sell an ultra sound for my mothers oil tank ? what's

Old 02-27-11, 06:41 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

What's with that ?

Old 02-27-11, 06:54 AM
R
Help, oil company is trying to sell my mother an ultra sound for her oil tank ?

I"ve never heard of this.What's up with that ?

Old 02-27-11, 07:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Have no idea. Fill us in with more than two sentences. If it is their tank, it is their responsibility to perform tests on it at their expense. If it is your tank, and it is above ground, why would you need a test? If it is below ground, compare their prices to others, and determine if you need it or not. Leaking oil into the ground can have bad consequences, now and later if the house is to be sold, so knowing early may be a good thing. How much are they charging? What type of guarantee do they issue?

Old 02-27-11, 07:47 AM
In some older developments in PA (Philly area), the oil supplier also insures the buried tanks. If you now drop the supplier and try to go elsewhere, you will not get the insurance included.

My wife's parent had that situation, because they thought about switching, but did not because they did not want to get stuck with a tank removal and replacement at their age despite saving a few pennies a gallon. The insurance benefit created a bond and they referred to the supplier as "our supplier".

It could be just a way of getting more revenue and learning about the general tank conditions in the area.

If it is an above ground tank, the situation will be different.

Dick

Old 02-27-11, 09:02 AM
R
thanks for the input guys

Old 02-27-11, 07:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 30 Posts
They could be talking about either an ultra sonic tank inspection to check the condition of the tank, since most tanks decay from the inside out, or an ultra sonic level gauge.
Here's some info on the gauge. 7000 - OEM 7000 - Rocket Wireless Fuel Level Monitor

We need more information about the purpose than you've given us.

Old 02-28-11, 12:07 AM
F
Normally the Ultrasound testing will tell the thickness of the fuel tank not only they used in home inground tanks but aboveground tanks as well belive or not the rust can start inside bottom of the tank if the condition is right.

The Ultrasonound test been used in larger commercal / gas station location to test their tanks as well with a quick soil test to make sure they are not commainated with any type of fuel.

The cost wise that part I do not know what they will charge to do that kind of test so it will varies a bit and how they will do it.

I know some area when the tanks pass X numbers of years they will inspect very carefull or replace it { it don't matter if underground or above ground tanks }

Merci.
Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: