Forced Hot Water Bottle Gas Furnace - Good Click - No Blower or Ignite

Old 02-27-11, 09:31 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Forced Hot Water Bottle Gas Furnace - Good Click - No Blower or Ignite

Good morning all. I hope you can help. Woke up this morning and it is pretty darn cold in here. Wood stove is going - now to troubleshoot the furnace.

First off - I have a Weil McLain model CP 1503203 forced had water - bottle gas powered furnace.

Right now when it gets the signal from the thermostat, I hear a relay give a good click and the something starts to hum (I assume it is the blower). The blower never turns on and the rest of what the info plate calls the "H.S.T control system" never starts.

Sooo what's up with my furnace? Need more info? Tell me where to look and I will get it.

Old 02-27-11, 09:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You need to take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace and carefully observe and report the sequence of events that take place when the thermostat calls for heat.

Old 02-27-11, 10:17 AM
J
Relay on the left site (by the manual burner power switch) gives a good loud click with signal. Blower motor hums but does not turn. Igniter never starts to glow, gas does not start to flow. Should I be looking for something else?

blower motor does seem to get warm too. Perhaps this is the issue?

Old 02-27-11, 10:23 AM
J
Oh - One more thing I am seeing. The fan is moving ever so slowly - like the motor does not have enough power to spin. Blower might be moving about a half inch a minute or so.

Old 02-27-11, 11:02 AM
I presume the motor and fan you are talking about is the inducer motor located above the burners (usually), not the fan circulating air around the house.

When the thermostat calls for heat, that should be the firsat thing that switches on and comes up to speed. Nothing else is going to happen unless that does come up to speed.

From your comment, it isn't. You can measure the AC voltage being applied to the inducer motor to make sure it's correct at 120VAC or thereabouts.

Usually you can remove and inspect the inducer motor assembly pretty easily by removing the bolts that hold it to the furnace. It sounds like you will find the fan hard to turn because the fan bearings have failed. If so you will need to replace the inducer motor assembly.

You may be able to get the motor by itself, but replacing the inducer motor assembly is simpler and less difficult.

Old 02-27-11, 11:14 AM
J
That sounds like the right diagnosis. It is forced hot water so their is nothing blowing air around the house. Thanks for the correct terminology. I can turn the fan by reaching through the exhaust pipe (for lack of a better word). Does not seem that difficult to turn but I am not sure how free it should be. Wife is saying that it did squeal some last week - would have been good to know AT THE TIME lol.

I will check the voltage and replace the motor is it is getting the right voltage. Thanks for the assistance.

Old 02-27-11, 02:39 PM
Usually you can take the inducer motor assembly which includes the fan off fairly easily by removing the bolts that hold it to the equipment.

When you can hold it in your hand you can examine it and test it more easily and accurately. I'd turn it on 20-30 times if need be to see if it's starting easily, starting slowing or only starting erratically.

A squealing noise suggests the motor may be failing, but I that just suggests doing the inspection suggested above.

If you replace it, I'd shop for the inducer assembly which includes a new fan. The old fan could fail next, and in any case the fan is usually corroded onto the motor shaft and is at a minimum difficult to get off.

Make it easy on yourself and get the whole assembly, is my recommendation.

Old 02-27-11, 05:48 PM
P
Originally Posted by jekoenig View Post
Good morning all. I hope you can help. Woke up this morning and it is pretty darn cold in here. Wood stove is going - now to troubleshoot the furnace.

First off - I have a Weil McLain model CP 1503203 forced had water - bottle gas powered furnace.

Right now when it gets the signal from the thermostat, I hear a relay give a good click and the something starts to hum (I assume it is the blower). The blower never turns on and the rest of what the info plate calls the "H.S.T control system" never starts.

Sooo what's up with my furnace? Need more info? Tell me where to look and I will get it.
There are a few of those inducer that have a start capasator fastened to them, If this goes bad then the motor will not start. Does your have something like that? Paul

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: