Need a propane meter for our house

Old 03-05-11, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need a propane meter for our house

Hi,

We have a propane tank for our house. We've been on auto fill so I never have to worry about watching the propane level, but I think we're going to need to will-call seeing we're burning wood and pellets. A while back, I bought a Robertshaw wireless propane tank meter and it worked terrible. It was constantly getting out of sync. I don't think I really care anymore if it's wireless. I guess I can run a one time install of a wire from the tank, though our downstairs, up the wall and to wherever I want to install the meter.

Does anyone know of a meter that I could install that would be wired to monitor the propane tank level?

Thank You,

David

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-11, 09:59 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
What kind of level indicator do you have on your tank? If it is a float-type that moved a needle around all mounted through a flange with four bolts and about 2-1/2 inches square then electric senders are available. They aren't the most accurate but they will give you a relatively decent indication.

Propane Tank Float Gauge - Face Gauge

http://www.squibbtaylor.com/subfiles/taylorcatalog.pdf

Old 03-06-11, 06:06 AM
There is no float on the back of the dial. I replaced it a while ago when I tried the Robertshaw meter. If there is a float, it does not connect to the back of the dial.

Here's a link to it... (Amazon.com: Robertshaw Wireless Propane (LP) Gas Tank Level Meter RS-228: Home Improvement)

I had to replace the gauge on the tank to one that allowed me to plug the transmitter of the Robertshaw system into the gauge.

I think it works magnetically. There's just two small screws that holds it to the tank. I think when I replaced it though, the dial was too big so I only could put in one screw.

Old 03-06-11, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
If you have a standard Worthington magnetic driven indicator it would be possible to get an automotive sending unit for it.
As propane prices here were way lower in the 80's we saved a fair bit of money operating dual fuel service vehicles and these sending units and gauges for inside the vehicle were quite common.
The wires on the dial face connect to an inside mounted gauge and were easy to hook up.

I couldn't spot a complete kit on a quick search but you might check with a local propane supplier in your area.

Click image:

Image courtesy of vintagetrailersupply.com

Old 03-06-11, 10:12 AM
How do other people keep an eye on their propane level? Trying to remember to check it once a week, I'll feel like my life is revolved around watching the propane meter. If I forget about it for a few weeks and the propane tank goes empty, the propane company charges me a fee to check the system for leaks, evacuate the system and do a fresh fill, which would cost a fortune. I have never let it happen, but that's because we're on auto-fill right now.

Old 03-06-11, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
Most people here don't check propane levels, they have the company auto-fill like you are doing now.
Another way is to go on metered consumption which should work out to exactly the same cost.

How large is your tank and how often is it filled?

Old 03-06-11, 11:43 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I'm wondering if you bothered to read the links I provided. One of them went into detail on HOW the float gauges work (yes, the indicator is magnetically coupled to the float and linkage inside the tank.) Any propane dealer that does more than exchange 20 lb. barbecue tanks should have the equipment or at least be able to get the equipment.

Old 03-06-11, 12:40 PM
Our tank is a 330 gallon. Slightly smaller than a normal propane tank that sits in most people's yards. I think most people have 500 gallons.