Armstrong Air Ultra V furnace problem

Old 03-05-11, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Armstrong Air Ultra V furnace problem

Having trouble with my Armstrong Air Ultra V gas furnace. The furnace won't start up. I have replaced the circuit board and the igniter. The system will not function at all using the thermostat controls. I removed the thermostat (Honeywell) and connected the red wire to the white--the blower started, the igniter glowed, but the burners do not produce gas. The igniter cools down and then after a few moments tries again. The blower continues to run. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-11, 07:46 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
check for 24V at gas valve during the ignitor glowing phase. check for voltage the entire time the ignitor is glowing, should get voltage towards the end of the ignitor cycle.

If no voltage trace both wires back and ensure they dont run thru a switch that is tripped.

FYI Your furnace is known for Heat exchanger failures. It should be checked annually by a professional.

Old 03-05-11, 09:13 PM
Am getting voltage to the gas valve. Now what?

Old 03-05-11, 09:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's 24 VAC at the gas valve you measured?

Old 03-05-11, 09:30 PM
Yes. Red wire and blue wires attached to side of gas valve. Would register during the igniter cycle then drop after the igniter is off.

Old 03-06-11, 06:41 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
now, you need to make sure you have gas supplied to the furnace. Do you have any other gas appliances. If yes, and they work, then you need a new gas valve.

Old 03-06-11, 10:45 AM
If you have other gas appliances that are working, you know you have a gas supply. If you don't check to be sure that the gas meter is turned on, that the manual shutoff valve at the furnace is on and that the electric gas valve in the furnace is turned to "on."

If I were doing the job, I'd shut off the gas at the furnace shutoff valve and open the pipe union or flex connector compression fitting and turn on the manual valve briefly to verify that you have gas.

Old 03-06-11, 07:14 PM
There are 2 furnaces, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. The other one is working properly, so there is gas. The gas valve is turned to on, but I will double check the manual gas supply to that furnace to be sure it did not get turned off for some reason. I will do your suggested check with the fitting tomorrow. If the gas supply is ok, are we back to the gas valve, or could it be something else? Thanks for the help.

Old 03-06-11, 07:44 PM
If you have gas the way you should I'd also disconnect aq wire to the gas valve a do a continuity check to see if you have an open circuit, which would verify that the gas valve is burned out.

But even if that test were negative, you still be looking at replacing the gas valve.

The idea is that if you have all the correct inputs (gas and power), a part should have specific outputs (gas to the main burner). If you don't have that output, the part is defective.